Post-Bac Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitejade417

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what schools offer a post-bac program and how to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

UCSF has a post-bac, and I think one school in Michigan has one. You can call Dr. Bradsaw at UCSF to find out more about the program.

UCSF has a post-bac, and I think one school in Michigan has one. You can call Dr. Bradsaw at UCSF to find out more about the program.

outreach programs which include post bacc and UMP have been removed from UCSF....I am one of the last post baccs

Members don't see this ad :)
What sort of post -bac? Remedial to boost your gpa or have you yet to take any of the pre-reqs? Any pre-med post-bac "program" will work for pre-dent or you could do what I'm doing and take the classes you need at the local university -- second bachelors allows you to get finaid. PM me with questions.

Is post-bac just another words for graduate program or master (2 or 4 year degree) program?

post-bac is any sort of post-baccalaureate (post-undergrad) coursework, structured or not. It doesn't need to be degree-seeking.

Include repeating?

I've called the USC and asked about the post-bacc program they offered, and he told me it's mainly for students with financial disadvantage. That applies to UCSF too. I know I am not a student with financial disadvantage, so I am not sure if I should apply for it.

There are different types of formal post-bac programs designed for different types of students. You'll find the "financially or otherwise disadvantaged" programs, the ones for "retaking classes to boost your gpa", and some for those "career changers who haven't taken the sciences". Sounds like the ones you've looked into are the first one... keep looking.

People i know that were at USC's Post Bac Program were not in financial hardship... one was a professional football player. (that won a superbowl)

There's a postbaccalaureate forum on the website, but it's mainly filled with pre-med students. I would assume that the programs would work for pre dental students as well, at least for the most part.

Include repeating?

I would strongly advise anyone NOT to repeat any courses unless you received a failing mark. Keep in mind that yes, you are more likely to get a better grade, but it only averages out in the end. Even if you don't get the A, your image suffers making it look like you cannot grasp the concepts.

In post-bac work, it is strongly encouraged to take upper level science courses, whether to boost your gpa or show your commitment as a driven student. So to answer this question, I suppose post-bac work, technically includes repeating courses, but to be honest it will be a waste of time and money. For most of us, at this point it's either go big, or go pharm tech.

Upenn has a post bac program for people w/o the prereqs and for people needing to strengthen their science gpa. The tuition is MUCH cheaper than their normal undergrad---state school level. I think it is run through their community education program thus the reduced tuition. My impression was that they don't really give you too much support but the name and tuition are nice. They have "linkage" programs to med schools which result in a guaranteed acceptance based upon a certain gpa (no year of waiting while applying) but I don't think the dental schools do this.

I would strongly advise anyone NOT to repeat any courses unless you received a failing mark. Keep in mind that yes, you are more likely to get a better grade, but it only averages out in the end. Even if you don't get the A, your image suffers making it look like you cannot grasp the concepts.

In post-bac work, it is strongly encouraged to take upper level science courses, whether to boost your gpa or show your commitment as a driven student. So to answer this question, I suppose post-bac work, technically includes repeating courses, but to be honest it will be a waste of time and money. For most of us, at this point it's either go big, or go pharm tech.

Thanks. Yea it would be waste of time and money, but some schools said if you got a C- in one of the required class they listed, then you must retake it. Oh well, can't kill 2 bird with 1 stone. What post-bac are you doing? It seems like most of these post-bac are full day time class only...not much night classes :(

Upenn has a post bac program for people w/o the prereqs and for people needing to strengthen their science gpa. The tuition is MUCH cheaper than their normal undergrad---state school level. I think it is run through their community education program thus the reduced tuition. My impression was that they don't really give you too much support but the name and tuition are nice. They have "linkage" programs to med schools which result in a guaranteed acceptance based upon a certain gpa (no year of waiting while applying) but I don't think the dental schools do this.

Actually, check out Tufts. It's difficult to get into and not for remedial students (read: only for those who haven't yet taken all the pre-reqs) but they're the only ones that I know of who have a direct linkage to dental school -- avoid the so-called "lag year" and go straight to Tufts Dental if your grades and DAT are decent.

Barry U. was another one that I looked into because you can take the undergrad sciences you need in a year or two and as long as your grades are over a 3.0, they'll take you right into their one-year non-thesis masters program with an historically high placement rate into professional schools.

I chose to just do things a la carte and take classes at the local state school. It's worked very well for me.

post-bac is any sort of post-baccalaureate (post-undergrad) coursework, structured or not. It doesn't need to be degree-seeking.

Mack, so post-bac will not have any special status listed on transcript but just same as if it is just another class that you taken after graduation? And they have to be at a 4-year college not 2yr junior college right?