Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Post bac Reapplication

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by paveen, Dec 30, 2008.

1. paveen

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Any one know if post bac program accept re applicants? I applied to one late last year. Its one of the what seems to be bigger name programs , and the only one in the area where I live. I am applying to a couple of others this year. Have 3.1 GPA and 30 MCAT Any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. moneduloides

moneduloides Corvus
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You'll have to be a bit more specific about what type of program you're looking to be admitted to. Judging from the MCAT, you're not looking at the structured post-bac route...

4. NewmansOwn

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah he doesn't mean our kind of postbac, bro. OP, the catch-all term for the type of program you're referring to (on this forum, at least) is SMP. Not entirely accurate if you're not seeking a master's degree, but 'postbac' generally means career-changer postbac for those than are virgins to the hard sciences.

5. OLYWA

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Just a sugg. that i'm certain you've heard before. but...why don't you go the DO route? your scores are clearly good enough.

No interest in starting a flame war...but med school is med school. plain and simple.

6. paveen

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Thanks for sugg OLYWA but Do is kind of out of question, have family situation and cant move too far have three MD schools nearby but no DO

7. Squiggy

5+ Year Member

If you're tied down to one area, maybe you could take more undergrad classes to boost your GPA. That way you'll be a better candidate next year for schools or SMPs or when you'll be able to move away.

8. mommy2three

mommy2three PGY-1
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i am sure i am the exception rather than the rule but i got in on a second application this past year after being waitlisted.
    i had already completed a SMP but without the masters since i did not satisfy the gpa requirements.

i would call the program you applied to and ask how you can better your application, they seem to be more than willing to tell you here at least.

and as someone who is geographically limited as well i can only offer (((hugs))), but i hear ya.