Post Bac: upper division bio classes at CC to save money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasDental2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

If a person needs to do a post bac to raise his gpa up (lets say 3.1 overall), would adcoms mind if you take it at a community college to save money? Or MUST you take it at a 4yr university?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

If a person needs to do a post bac to raise his gpa up (lets say 3.1 overall), would adcoms mind if you take it at a community college to save money? Or MUST you take it at a 4yr university?

They'd rather see a full load of upper division science courses from a 4 year university. I'm not sure CC's offer upper divs

I see. When you say 'full load", how many hours are we talking? like 12 hrs for a full time student?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took A&P and biochem at my CC simply for the sake of taking them and not really for any requirement, so depending on the CC, they MAY be offered. I ended up taking biochem again in grad school so that worked out and for me, some schools will only take the university level biochem, not CC.

"Upper division courses at a community college"-wouldn't that qualify as a good example of an oxymoron?

yea that don't sound right. is dental anatomy in dental assisting school going to be the same as dental anatomy in dental school? same way i see it with cc and university...university is above cc same as dental school is above hygiene or assisting school

tell us how that turns out when you apply

adcoms are *aware* that cc courses do not compare to a university's, in depth and difficulty.
i think your app would look better with courses from a univ than from a cc. my 2c.

Hi everyone,

Im a career switcher who took every pre-req at a cc (except bio-chem = 4 year required) Theres a small handful of schools that flat out wont accept them, but most dont care.

If you already have all the pre-reqs you will be hard pressed to find sufficient number of other upper division classes to complete a post-bac. Mine offers microbio, cell, anatomy, physio, ochem, physics and i saved $20K versus state school.

best advice is to call your desired schools and see if they care.

Last edited: