Post Bac vs Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LilyBrunes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm extremely confused and was just wondering if anyone could help me out.

I have a low GPA (2.9 science) but I've had straight A's with 12 credits of upper level bio for the past 2 semesters. I was going to continue with another year, and if I get the same type of grades I have gotten this semester, my BCP gpa would be a little bit above a 3.0. I'm from Florida and I'm really hoping to get into any Florida school, and since LECOM is new, I was thinking my chances might be better there.

But I've recently met up with a dean of admissions form NOVA 2 months ago and I was discouraged when he told me that continuing on with just taking upper level bios wouldn't help and that I need to get into a masters program (like NOVA's for instance) and while I know that NOVA is more competitive than some other schools, it really made me wonder.

Would an upward trend of 2 years of straight As in all upper level science courses with a 3.0 science GPA be enough to get interviews? Or would I need to do a masters program or post bac (considering the fact that I had a horrendous GPA for so long)? And also is it necessary to do a masters program or would a post bac be sufficient?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I'm extremely confused and was just wondering if anyone could help me out.

I have a low GPA (2.9 science) but I've had straight A's with 12 credits of upper level bio for the past 2 semesters. I was going to continue with another year, and if I get the same type of grades I have gotten this semester, my BCP gpa would be a little bit above a 3.0. I'm from Florida and I'm really hoping to get into any Florida school, and since LECOM is new, I was thinking my chances might be better there.

But I've recently met up with a dean of admissions form NOVA 2 months ago and I was discouraged when he told me that continuing on with just taking upper level bios wouldn't help and that I need to get into a masters program (like NOVA's for instance) and while I know that NOVA is more competitive than some other schools, it really made me wonder.

Would an upward trend of 2 years of straight As in all upper level science courses with a 3.0 science GPA be enough to get interviews? Or would I need to do a masters program or post bac (considering the fact that I had a horrendous GPA for so long)? And also is it necessary to do a masters program or would a post bac be sufficient?

theres no solid answer for this. it depends on the school. some dental schools probably prefer you to get a masters instead, instead of a postbacc. others may be fine with just a postbacc to raise your gpa.
its up to you really.......look into the schools u really wanna go to & perhaps ask them what their thoughts are, then make your decision.
just bc they tell u to do a masters tho or a postbacc , and at the end of the day u end up not getting into that school regardless welllllll......u dont wanna kick urself in the a$ $ for listening to someone else. go with ur gut !!

My advice is always to avoid masters as much as possible IF YOU HAVE UPPER LEVEL BIOS TO TAKE in post-bacc.

On the other hand, if you've run out of post-bacc, then your only option is the much longer, tedious, and expensive masters.

By the way, I dunno who you talked to from NOVA, but they are NOTORIOUS for favoring students whom perform well in upper level bios, so I don't know what the hell that person was telling you....

Assuming you do 2 years of heavy post-bacc with near 4.0 performance, I say your odds are good, but you'll need to apply broadly (15+ schools)

Thank you so much guys. I was really feeling down in the dumps after talking to him. But I was just wondering, instead of doing post bac, can I just continue taking classes without graduating?