Post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeJabbar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wishing somwone would be able to shed some light on me. I am a business major at Temple University with a 3.7 GPA and have decided to pursue a career in medicine. I want to graduate with my degree next semester from Temple (it will be in risk management with a concentration in healthcare). Now here is what I am unsure about: What will make me the most competitive for some of the top schools. 1. West Chester University (a local state school) has a post bac program that if I complete with a 3.5 + gpa and score 27 or better (no lower than 9 in any section) then I would automatically be accepted to Temple or Drexel's med school. 2. I was also thinking of going to Brywn Mawr's post bac and then trying to get into its linkeage program with Brown or Dartmouth (no gurantee, but it would eliminate the glide year). 3. My last option is to take the classes through continuing studies at the University of North Carolina, which is very inexpensive, but doesn't offer a formal post bac. Which school will hold up better Brown, Dartmouth, Temple. Thanks for all the help Oh if it helps as of now I am planning on OBGYN!

mike
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Mike,
Come on over to the Post Bac forum where you are more likely to get a response. I would move this for ya, but sometimes people want other "premed" instead of "post bacccer" opinions. Also, the West Chester program DOES NOT GUARANTEE AN ACCEPTANCE! This is directly from their webpage, "Students who meet the MCAT standard of the program in the spring administration of the exam are eligible for admission to Temple in the fall of that same year."
Here is a link to West Chester's site. Believe me, eligible for admission and guaranteed acceptance are 2 totally different animals. You should take that into consideration when choosing a program. All any program with a linkage can do is guarantee you an interview, a committee still has to vote on you. Also, consider your homegrown post bac program, it got me into medical school!
MikeJabbar said:
Hello,
I was wishing somwone would be able to shed some light on me. I am a business major at Temple University with a 3.7 GPA and have decided to pursue a career in medicine. I want to graduate with my degree next semester from Temple (it will be in risk management with a concentration in healthcare). Now here is what I am unsure about: What will make me the most competitive for some of the top schools. 1. West Chester University (a local state school) has a post bac program that if I complete with a 3.5 + gpa and score 27 or better (no lower than 9 in any section) then I would automatically be accepted to Temple or Drexel's med school. 2. I was also thinking of going to Brywn Mawr's post bac and then trying to get into its linkeage program with Brown or Dartmouth (no gurantee, but it would eliminate the glide year). 3. My last option is to take the classes through continuing studies at the University of North Carolina, which is very inexpensive, but doesn't offer a formal post bac. Which school will hold up better Brown, Dartmouth, Temple. Thanks for all the help Oh if it helps as of now I am planning on OBGYN!

mike
[email protected]

don't count on the Brown linkage (either at Bryn-Mawr or at Columbia) because the linkage is only for 1.) URMs and 2.) RI residents. Of course, if either of these applies to you, then it might be something to consider. Check Brown's website--this is buried in there somewhere.

A few points:

1. Crake is mistaken about Brown; the linkage through Bryn Mawr is NOT only for RI residents or minority students. Brown does have programs for these categories, but this is not one of them.

2. Your last sentence or two (I'm addressing the OP here) seems to indicate a concern about which med school you'll ultimately end at. Don't worry about this right now. Med school is not like business school or law school; all med schools are good. Between the three mentioned, I would probably rank Brown and Temple above Drexel, but the truth is that it doesn't matter much. If you get good grades at any of those schools, you'll have all the opportunities you want. And if you don't, OBGYN is not a very competitive residency to get right now.

3. Stricly as a post-bac program, Bryn Mawr is far and above the others you mentioned (and most others for that matter). If you want the quickest, most powerful route to med school, it's definitely worth looking at. But you can really do your post-bac work anywhere that has at least some name recognition (i.e. don't go to community college or a no-name state u). Poke around this section of the board, and you'll find tons of info about various post-bac programs.

Good luck.