Post Bacc Advice with an entering G.P.A of 3.3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sspierceco

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a little bit curious if anyone has any perspective on my situation. I am a 2003 graduate of Middlebury and I had a 3.3 g.p.a. while there. I only took one science class while there(climatology). I have a couple of questions. One will my science G.P.A. be then determined almost entirely by my performance at the Georgetown Post-bacc program I am attending this summer? Two, lets say I do very well in these classes (4.0)ish and then really perform well on the MCATs could I have a chance at the TOP medical schools or does my 3.3 in non science related courses preclude me from the very best. In other words I think with a little gumption I can get into A medical school but I can't really figure out if I am already ruled out from a top tier because of that 3.3(I suppose with a great performance at Gtown my science G.P.A. would be near or at 4.0) Any thoughts at all would be appreciated because I am totally in the dark on this one.

Members don't see this ad.

sspierceco said:
I am a little bit curious if anyone has any perspective on my situation. I am a 2003 graduate of Middlebury and I had a 3.3 g.p.a. while there. I only took one science class while there(climatology). I have a couple of questions. One will my science G.P.A. be then determined almost entirely by my performance at the Georgetown Post-bacc program I am attending this summer?
Most likely so

Two, lets say I do very well in these classes (4.0)ish and then really perform well on the MCATs could I have a chance at the TOP medical schools or does my 3.3 in non science related courses preclude me from the very best. In other words I think with a little gumption I can get into A medical school but I can't really figure out if I am already ruled out from a top tier because of that 3.3(I suppose with a great performance at Gtown my science G.P.A. would be near or at 4.0) Any thoughts at all would be appreciated because I am totally in the dark on this one.
Ok no one can tell the future, you have a good shot though. As for the top schools, you never know. Med school is a crap shoot. If you do well in both MCAT's and prereqs you are a good canidate for med school. Other than that, I'm not sure what else anyone can say b/c we don't have your app for review ;) Its all about the whole package and if you get a good interviewer so I hear :) Make sure you prove you want in with experience clinically/research and emphasize strong points. Personal statements are key as are LOR. Its the whole package!

:luck:

If you do really well at Georgetown and well on the MCAT, I do not see a reason why top tier schools would not consider you. Plus, a 3.3 GPA from Middlebury is not too shabby. And yes, your Science G.P.A. will be almost entirely determined by your performance at Georgetown. Did you take any math courses at Middlebury or are you planning on taking any? They would also be included in your BCPM average. At least I believe that to be the case for Allopathic schools. I'm unsure if Osteopathic schools take math into consideration when calculating cumulative science GPA.

Anyway, good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks that was actually pretty helpful. One more thing. How do the med schools categorize a science? I have a couple of labless science classes like oceanography and computer science. They are all one semester classes - will those be counted in as part of a science g.p.a. and if they are will the guts classes(ie bio, chem, org and phys) be weighted heavier? In other words are all sciences and maths looked at equally given equal credit allotment? Thanks again

sspierceco said:
Thanks that was actually pretty helpful. One more thing. How do the med schools categorize a science? I have a couple of labless science classes like oceanography and computer science. They are all one semester classes - will those be counted in as part of a science g.p.a. and if they are will the guts classes(ie bio, chem, org and phys) be weighted heavier? In other words are all sciences and maths looked at equally given equal credit allotment? Thanks again
Page 29 of the AMCAS instruction booklet lists the classes that count towards the BCPM:

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2005instructionbook.pdf