Post Bacc - Am I competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoody

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for a little input...

Grad few years back with BSN (Nursing), GPA 3.2...have taken several bio's (general 1 & 2, micro, medical micro, anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, HIV/AIDS, and pharmacology) as well as general chem 1.

Originally my plan was:

Fall 2009
Chem 1 (got a C the first time)
Phys 1

Spring 2010
Chem 1
Phys 2
Genetics

Summer 2010
Calc 1
Calc 2

Fall 2010
Org Chem 1
Cell Bio

Spring 2011
Org Chem 2
Immunology
MCAT

Summer 2011
BioChem
APPLY

This would (hopefully) lead to 2012 matriculation...

however, lately Ive been thinking about doing a bost bacc program. I have taken the GRE (1000+) but have never taken the MCAT (obviously). Just wondering what you guys out there think, if I should go with my plan, or go with a bost bacc program. I really dont know much about post bacc programs, like how competitive they are, but I do know they are expensive and some require MCAT scores and/or no prior pre reqs taken..

Thanks for any input. :)

Members don't see this ad.

You may have taken too many of the prereqs. Having taken the bios is likely fine, but most formal postbac programs will not allow you to retake Gen Chem unless it was a good number of years ago -- I think 5, though it could be more. If you took it more than 5 years ago, you might be OK but the C you got will unfortunately raise doubts about your abilities.

Your GPA is a bit low for the top formal programs. I usually say that unless you're competitive for those, it's wiser and more cost-effective to do it on your own at a local state university. Prereqs are prereqs and only a handful of postbac programs actually give you your money's worth in support, MCAT prep and networking -- in your case I think you should start at your state university and start building a relationship with the premed advisor there. The premed advisors at large state universities are often the best in the country; very experienced and very up-to-date, as they deal with hundreds of applicants each year.