Post bacc and the ivy league? or....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tchantel21

tchantel21
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I have any reason to think that having to complete a post bacc (academic record enhancing kind) will make me less competitive than my str8 out of undergrad counterparts? Does the ivy league frown on students having to complete such programs?

To put my situation in perspective, though, Im a black female with a 3.1 and 27s mcat. I am waiting to hear back from interviews ive been on @ 2 MD schools and was accepted at an osteopathic school. Anyone in a similar situation (on the DO/ post bacc fence)?
 
I didn't know there were any IVY league schools in MD. Obviously you will need awesome grades and an amazing MCAT to be considered at an IVY-- and if you have a really great story to explain inconsistencies, you might be considered.
 
I posted this on another thread for you and I thought I would post in here too:
-----------------


tchantel21,

What is your BCPM GPA?

I'm sure there are folks who have done a post-bacc and gotten into Hopkins or Harvard. A few folks on these forums have come back from abysmal undergrad performances. I don't know if any have gone "ivy league" though.

What post-bac are you considering?

IMHO if you have to do a post-bac to make up for a less than sterling undergrad performance, then while you theoretically stand a chance everywhere you apply, it may be a small chance. I certainly don't think 3.1 or a 27 MCAT is anything to sneeze at!

If you can bump that 3.1 into a 3.7 or 3.8 then maybe, but that 27 MCAT is really what will kill you.

Check out mdapplicant.com for stats on folks who have applied.

Congrats on getting into the DO school
(DO means DOctor after all!)

You're still waiting to hear from 2 more schools? If you don't mind me asking, are they ivy?

You certainly have a hard choice to make. Boy, I envy you!

If you post basic stats some of the smarter folks on SDN will be sure to give you better info....

Agape

[edit: Jamaica-Cuban! Cool I'm Bahamian-Cuban-American]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ctothed said:
I didn't know there were any IVY league schools in MD. Obviously you will need awesome grades and an amazing MCAT to be considered at an IVY-- and if you have a really great story to explain inconsistencies, you might be considered.

Oh...by MD i meant allopathic as opposed to osteo. Sorry for the confusion 🙂
 
I think if you could get your GPA up to a 3.4 and get a 30 MCAT after a postbacc, you would have a good chance at an ivy, provided you still had good volunteer experience and a little research. Being URM will help off-set your GPA, but the MCAT will have to be a 30. That's my take. If you really want to go ivy, go to a top postbacc and be at the top of the class. If you come out of Columbia with a 4.0, you will get into P&S. It's that simple (although it's damn near impossible to do that well). Good luck.
 
[edit: Jamaica-Cuban! Cool I'm Bahamian-Cuban-American][/QUOTE]

Interesting combo 😉 Do you speak spanish?