Post bacc Applying to vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ainz-Rodriguez

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello
I was just wondering how post bac classes effected your gpa. I have a low gpa for undergrad. I am going back to retake and finish some science courses. I have also finished my mph degree this winter. I am a full time license RVT. I have assisted with embryo transfer in cattle. As well as field experience with salmonella in chicken chicken houses. I know it’s early to think about applying. With having a low gpa I am trying to figure out how to make my application stand out. Any suggestions on how to include what I have done would be greatly appreciated. I am a Ga resident if that matters.
 
Taking classes after your degree will change your gpa just as much as the did during your undergrad. Your obviously not lacking in experience which is great. If you can improve your gpa and score well on the GRE then you can have a good shot.

You should also look into how different schools look at your gpa. For instance, Kansas State looks at your last 45 hour gpa and your prerequisite science course gpa.

If you are retaking courses you should also know that some schools accept the new grade as a replacement and some will average the two together. Here is a link to a post with some info on that and a few other schools that look at last 45 hour gpa more closely.

Comprehensive and updated list of which schools do grade replacement/forgiveness etc

May I ask what your gpa is?

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile
 
Hello
I was just wondering how post bac classes effected your gpa. I have a low gpa for undergrad. I am going back to retake and finish some science courses. I have also finished my mph degree this winter. I am a full time license RVT. I have assisted with embryo transfer in cattle. As well as field experience with salmonella in chicken chicken houses. I know it’s early to think about applying. With having a low gpa I am trying to figure out how to make my application stand out. Any suggestions on how to include what I have done would be greatly appreciated. I am a Ga resident if that matters.

My situation is a bit different, bc I am a nontraditional student who didn't take any science classes during undergrad, but I did do a post-bacc program to take all my science classes. I took around ~140 credits in undergrad, and around ~63 for my science prereqs. Those post-bacc classes only raised my cGPA about a point, but I knew science and last 45 GPAs were important, so even if my cGPA wasn't drastically impacted, showing a high GPA in those areas was my goal. I believe if you do well in the classes you retake and show an upward trend, in combination with your RVT and MPH you will have a good shot!
 
May I ask what your gpa?

Thanks for the information so my current cumulative undergrad gpa is a 2.8. My grad gpa is a 3.4 I struggled in undergrad being a single mother trying to find a proper balance among other things. I have since then figure out how to manage e

Thanks for the information so my current cumulative undergrad gpa is a 2.8. My grad gpa is a 3.4 I struggled in undergrad being a single mother trying to find a proper balance among other things. I have since then figure out how to manage everything. I work with Perry much