Post bacc apps that don't need recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

@surg2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have undergraduate degrees in film and writing. My professors in those classes have written me tons of recommendations for internships and volunteering and jobs and.... an MFA in creative writing. I got in, but didn't go because of the cost. After working in the publishing field, I want to enter a post bacc program, but I have no one left to write me a science recommendation. Plus, it's sort of weird to write the same student a recommendation for writing school and a pre-med program.

Anyway. I know that Stony Brook doesn't require recommendations for their post bacc application. Anyone know of any other schools that don't need 'em?

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't taken any science classes, then of course you don't have any science recommendations, and this is not confusing to postbac programs.

But a good postbac program still wants to know that you're recommendable, which is critical for med school and beyond. Those film/writing recommendations are useful here. If you can, ask one of those recommenders to update their letter, attesting to your basic academic prowess. They don't have to vouch for anything having to do with science.

Meanwhile, you need clinical exposure, volunteer or paid, before you dive into a postbac. If you haven't smelled some very sick/messy patients yet, that's the first order of business.

Generally look to Bryn Mawr and Goucher as the programs that have things figured out best, and compare other programs to these 2.

Best of luck to you.