Post-Bacc (Basic Sciences) or Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wizards323

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get any advice at all on my situation in applying to medical school. My gpa hasn't been that great since I transferred from a community college to a university, and is projected to stand at 3.3 when I apply to medical school in 2005. My science gpa will most likely be around 2.9-3.0. I'm hoping to do well on the mcats, but even if that isn't enough to balance the low gpa, I'm wondering if i'm better off doing a post-bacc program with all the science classes again or just going into a masters program with my current major. I'm also planning to reapply after my senior year, but I'm looking at the masters or post-bacc in the off-year in that case anyway. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Wizards323 said:
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get any advice at all on my situation in applying to medical school. My gpa hasn't been that great since I transferred from a community college to a university, and is projected to stand at 3.3 when I apply to medical school in 2005. My science gpa will most likely be around 2.9-3.0. I'm hoping to do well on the mcats, but even if that isn't enough to balance the low gpa, I'm wondering if i'm better off doing a post-bacc program with all the science classes again or just going into a masters program with my current major. I'm also planning to reapply after my senior year, but I'm looking at the masters or post-bacc in the off-year in that case anyway. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone for reading.

I am finishing my Master's degree and then applying to post-bach. I was not a pre-med as an undergrad, but ive heard that the hardest part about having your pre-med classes already complete and a GPA<3.0 is that it is so already competative to get into a post-bach with >3.0 GPA. I had a 3.2 undergrad now I have a 3.7 grad and hopefully that will give me a shot.

Wizards323 said:

I'd recommend taking lots of undergrad science classes to raise your BCPM average.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea i was wondering the same thing as well. Is it better to do a post bac but i heard the college takes your last 60 credits with the new credits you will be taking to calculate your gpa. A masters program is generally about 2 yrs long with a thesis or what not but you get a new gpa. Any thoughts on what path to take with a gpa of about 3.0

Wizards323 said:

A masters will culminate in a degree. Go for this. The post-bac just gives you extra classes. Why take more classes if it doesn't result in something?? I did the MS route and that got me in. :)