Post-bacc before MD essay: help me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khia18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-
So having taken the August MCAT with a 28, a cumm. gpa of 3.4 and a science gpa of 3.23, I'm beginning to think my chances of acceptance are not good. I still have yet to hear from UIC, Rush, and Loyola, all in Chicago area. In the mean time, I was advised by a Rosalind Franklin (formerly Chicago Medical School) admissions committee member to pursue the Masters of Applied Physiology. Its a 1 year no research masters, with most classes taken with the M1s. You are guaranteed an interview with their med school admission people, and they re-evaluate you after completion of the program. They no longer look at your college transcripts or MCAT scores, just your performance within the program. Its a good opportunity for reapplicants to prove themselves.
My problem: the personal statement. I have no idea how to write it. I know what I want to say, but I just can't get it down on paper. I understand the need to prove myself as a qualified applicant, the value of a graduate level degree, that it will make me a better doctor in the end, etc. How do I write it? Can anyone please help me? I have a "unique" background in the sense that I have been working as an EMT and ER tech for nearly 2 years, and I am hoping that will demonstrate some sort of dedication, etc. Help! And thanks! Sorry so long!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless things have changed since I applied to the post-bac, the only thing Rosalind Franklin (still Finch at the time) asked of me was money. I had applied to their med school and they informed me that they would be able to use my med app as the post-bac app. They just wanted me to send the processing fee.

If this is no longer the case, I simply used my med app personal statement for post-bac apps and just tweaked some of the wording to fit the program I was applying to.