Post-bacc before MD essay: help me!

Started by Khia18
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Khia18

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all-
So having taken the August MCAT with a 28, a cumm. gpa of 3.4 and a science gpa of 3.23, I'm beginning to think my chances of acceptance are not good. I still have yet to hear from UIC, Rush, and Loyola, all in Chicago area. In the mean time, I was advised by a Rosalind Franklin (formerly Chicago Medical School) admissions committee member to pursue the Masters of Applied Physiology. Its a 1 year no research masters, with most classes taken with the M1s. You are guaranteed an interview with their med school admission people, and they re-evaluate you after completion of the program. They no longer look at your college transcripts or MCAT scores, just your performance within the program. Its a good opportunity for reapplicants to prove themselves.
My problem: the personal statement. I have no idea how to write it. I know what I want to say, but I just can't get it down on paper. I understand the need to prove myself as a qualified applicant, the value of a graduate level degree, that it will make me a better doctor in the end, etc. How do I write it? Can anyone please help me? I have a "unique" background in the sense that I have been working as an EMT and ER tech for nearly 2 years, and I am hoping that will demonstrate some sort of dedication, etc. Help! And thanks! Sorry so long!
 
Unless things have changed since I applied to the post-bac, the only thing Rosalind Franklin (still Finch at the time) asked of me was money. I had applied to their med school and they informed me that they would be able to use my med app as the post-bac app. They just wanted me to send the processing fee.

If this is no longer the case, I simply used my med app personal statement for post-bac apps and just tweaked some of the wording to fit the program I was applying to.