1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Post-Bacc Blues

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by sacc, May 6, 2004.

1. sacc

sacc Member
    7+ Year Member

Has anyone else been getting this?

Other Person: Hey sacc, whats up with med school?

Me: I'm going to Georgetown.

Other Person: You got in!! Thats awesome!! See I told you you could do it!!

Me: Well,..I didn't get into med school....its this special program.

Other Person: Oh....thats cool..I guess.

Me: Yeah, its supposed to help if I do well....we'll see.

Other Person:
    Good luck with that.

Me, in my head: F***.

It's analogous to starving. Let's say you're starving and you're in a desert. All of a sudden a sandwich stand is spotted in the distance. You run up to the window and give them all the money you've got for a sandwich. They hand you a sandwich and you're really excited because you're freakin' starving. You tear open the wrapper and you realize that it's two pieces of bread and a piece of crap in the middle. You've been sold a sh** sandwich. But you're starving, so what do you do? You eat it. Why? Because there is a slim chance that you'll get some nutritional value out of it and be able to continue on in the hopes that some day you'll get to eat a delicious feast.

I've got the sh** sandwich in my hands and every day that I don't get off the waitlist it gets an inch closer to my mouth. :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 911Med

911Med Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Easy with the analogies brother.

I love the symbolism BUT some of us are not eating the "sh** sandwich," we are (unfortunately) chowing at the poo BUFFETT. I'm leaving a 6 figure salary at a pharma company to go back and START a post-bac. :(

The call to medicine hits us all at different times in our lives. It sounds like you applied straight outta undergrad.

Relax. - Advice from a wise old man...quit caring what other people think about you RIGHT now.

Life is not a staright line bewteen points A and B - it is all the amazing things you can fit in between. - This in in my personal statement, so don't think about using it - my lawyers will eat you for breakfast. :laugh:

I would love to even be in the ball park of wait lists now. If the wait list doesn't pan out, rock Georgetown and you'll be in somewhere.
    In that year, you'll spend a lot of dough, but could also solidify a spot in medical school and probably make some great connections with very bright people.

Quit caring what OTHEr people think.
    The glass is half full.
    Your in at Georgetown SMP. - This is a pretty prestigious program.
    Snap out of it!

P.S. When life gives you a lemon, you take that lemon and make a nice lemon-dill sauce - it helps the "sh** sandwich" go down easier.

4. AliZ

AliZ Member
    7+ Year Member

haha... all this talk about sh** sandwiches... yikes! I have to agree with 911MED.... don't worry about the other people out there!! There's always gonna be someone who's gonna give you their 2 cents... mostly when you're not asking for it. The secret is to know yourself, know what you can do, and do it well! Kick butt and before you know it... YOU'LL be having a conversation with someone who's just starting off... probably discouraged... and trying to get in. Enjoy the ride, make the most out of the cards you're dealt with, and you'll be just fine!

Hang in there!

5. medic170

medic170 American Infidel
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Personally, I am happy that I even have the opportunity to feast on a poo-poo platter.