Post Bacc/Crap Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilRT2CivMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am currently enlisted in the U.S. Navy as a Radiology Technologist in Virginia, and near completion of a Bachelor's in Health Science from Kaplan University, an accredited school, but all online to due to fluctuating work schedule. Given this, I have few to no classes needed as a pre-med. Upon finishing my enlistment, I intend to return to Oklahoma and complete the pre-requisites required to apply to medical school at OU or Northeastern State University, or really any respectable college within a few hundred miles. Would my degree make me competitive for these programs if I also have experience healthcare as a technologist, research as an IRB member, and LOR's from respected members of the medical community along with shadowing physicians in different fields? All of this given, and perhaps this is a better question for med school Adcom's, but if I do complete a rigorous course load at a competitive level and score well on the MCAT, do you have any idea if I'd be an eligible candidate at any med school given my Undergraduate degree being from Kaplan? Should I just begin a new undergrad degree instead? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to say for the degree as a whole. Some schools will not notice or care but online education is so varied that you might get asked about it.

The sure fire way would be to do your science prerequisites at a brick and mortar school, like your state school. If you do well there, and you do well on the mcat, no one will question the rest of your degree being online.

Thanks, that was really my main concern. In this situation, would it make a difference to do a formal post bacc vs. DIY, or as long as I'm doing well across the boards will it matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
It won't matter as long as you do well*. I think DIY is simpler and more straight forward as long as you're self-motivated and organized. All med schools want to know is that you can handle rigorous course loads, and that you can do well in the hard sciences as evidenced by college level science courses and your MCAT.

*keeping in mind some formal postbaccs for premeds actually feed into their medical school if you succeed in their postbac program. I was not lucky enough to be anywhere near this set up and am not knowledgeable on that process, competitiveness to get in, etc.

Agreed. I did all my prerequisites as a self directed post back at Eastern (state) College and got plenty of interviews. The smaller school with 30-50 students per class helped with LORs too.