post bacc for how long

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nayahrichard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a cum and BCPM GPA of 2.95 and 2.94. My last 2 years of school was a 3.51. after one semester of post bacc classes (16 cr.) I will have a 3.03 and 3.07, respectively. Should I take more post bacc classes to get as far away from the 3.0 line. OR can i go ahead and apply for SMPs? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally wouldn't let a GPA so close to 3.0 stay there, so I vote yes to more undergrad coursework, to get you up & over. Understand that a 3.0x might or might not get you into a worthwhile SMP, and you have to pick an SMP that doesn't BS you about your med school chances (Cincy/EVMS are good examples). Hopefully you have a sufficiently compelling story so that you'll get noticed despite your cumulative numbers.

If that 16 cr semester is all upper div science, and if you get no worse than 3.7, and if your ECs & letters are in good shape, and if you're ready to kill the MCAT next January in time to apply to good SMPs, then one semester gets the job done. That's a big pile of if.

When you apply to an SMP, if you want to go straight into med school after the SMP, then you want to apply with a complete med school app. That means your MCAT score is great, ECs are great, LORs are great, essays are great. If you've applied to med school already, send in your AMCAS. If you haven't, send in an AMCAS that hasn't been submitted to AAMC (it'll have everything but GPA calcs). The only thing wrong with your med school app when you start a good SMP is a low GPA.

There's a lot of variety in the GPA comeback market, and if you're flexible on whether you want to go straight into med school from the SMP or whether you want to apply to med school after the SMP, you have more options. You can find a program that helps you with the MCAT. You can find a program that takes more than a year. Etc.

Just be thinking about what you would do if you had to do more than one more undergrad semester to get into an SMP. And get a leg up on the MCAT - find out what shape you're in by taking a free practice test, cold, at www.e-mcat.com. If you can't imagine a 32+ MCAT, then seriously, make friends with DO.

Best of luck to you.