Post bacc grades good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdr234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

my undergrad gpa was fairly low so I went back and did an "DIY" post-bacc.

currently 20 credits into the post-bacc. GPA for the post-bacc is a 3.2, might bump up to a 3.3-3.4 by the end of this semester.

DAT: 21

a lot of volunteering and shadowing hours, planning on doing some research in the fall. I also have an established career in the fire service, so I'm not to worried about the EC part of my application

now to go back to the original question, I know my post-bacc GPA could be better but I'm wondering if that will get me a few interviews/acceptances if I apply broadly.

any suggestions, comments, opinions or criticism is appreciated.

thanks for reading

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

my undergrad gpa was fairly low so I went back and did an "DIY" post-bacc.

currently 20 credits into the post-bacc. GPA for the post-bacc is a 3.2, might bump up to a 3.3-3.4 by the end of this semester.

DAT: 21

a lot of volunteering and shadowing hours, planning on doing some research in the fall. I also have an established career in the fire service, so I'm not to worried about the EC part of my application

now to go back to the original question, I know my post-bacc GPA could be better but I'm wondering if that will get me a few interviews/acceptances if I apply broadly.

any suggestions, comments, opinions or criticism is appreciated.

thanks for reading
What is your overall GPA and BCP GPA?

What is your overall GPA and BCP GPA?

I did not do so hot in undergrad, gpa was around a 2.7, BCP in post grad was probably a 3.0, I did not take undergrad seriously,hence the reason I’m doing a post bacc now. I’m around 20 credits into the post bacc and hoping to finish off at around a 3.3-3.4. My undergrad grades will do nothing but hurt me At this point, unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not do so hot in undergrad, gpa was around a 2.7, BCP in post grad was probably a 3.0, I did not take undergrad seriously,hence the reason I’m doing a post bacc now. I’m around 20 credits into the post bacc and hoping to finish off at around a 3.3-3.4. My undergrad grades will do nothing but hurt me At this point, unfortunately.

I’m sorry, BCP in undergrad was probably around a 3.0, not in post grad.

What matters is your overall. Dental school is a steady marathon, and professors want to see academic performance over the long term. With your postbacc, how are your grades together?

What matters is your overall. Dental school is a steady marathon, and professors want to see academic performance over the long term. With your postbacc, how are your grades together?

All post bacc classes were higher level science classes and grades ranged from 3.0-3.6. I’m just worried dental schools will tell me to go for a masters degree, which is not possible in my situation right now.

All post bacc classes were higher level science classes and grades ranged from 3.0-3.6. I’m just worried dental schools will tell me to go for a masters degree, which is not possible in my situation right now.

Your GPA isn’t calculated separately as undergrad and post bacc. Your GPA is combined. What’s your oGPA and BCP for the entirety of your college career?

Your GPA isn’t calculated separately as undergrad and post bacc. Your GPA is combined. What’s your oGPA and BCP for the entirety of your college career?

Overall gpa for undergrad is 2.7. Science is around a 3.0. advisor told me to just start over with a post-bacc, it would take something like a 100 credits of post-bacc to get my undergrad gpa to move a little since it’s weighted down so much from undergrads credits.

Am I wasting my time and money doing a post-bacc? I’m not banking on moving my undergrad/overall gpa. I’m hoping they see improvements in post-bacc and hopefully I can explain myself.

Overall gpa for undergrad is 2.7. Science is around a 3.0. advisor told me to just start over with a post-bacc, it would take something like a 100 credits of post-bacc to get my undergrad gpa to move a little since it’s weighted down so much from undergrads credits.

Am I wasting my time and money doing a post-bacc? I’m not banking on moving my undergrad/overall gpa. I’m hoping they see improvements in post-bacc and hopefully I can explain myself.

We understand that but your GPA isn’t broken up. You don’t get a post bacc gpa and an undergrad gpa. You have 1 gpa and when it comes time for cutoffs if your total GPA is <3.0 you run the risk of automatic rejection and then schools don’t even get to look at that upward trend you’re trying to obtain. With that being said I don’t think you’re wasting your money but if you apply to a good number of schools and get rejected this cycle you might want to consider a masters.

We understand that but your GPA isn’t broken up. You don’t get a post bacc gpa and an undergrad gpa. You have 1 gpa and when it comes time for cutoffs if your total GPA is <3.0 you run the risk of automatic rejection and then schools don’t even get to look at that upward trend you’re trying to obtain. With that being said I don’t think you’re wasting your money but if you apply to a good number of schools and get rejected this cycle you might want to consider a masters.

That’s what I’m afraid of. I’m not in the position to do a masters degree. Seems like I get a different answer from everyone I ask. Even the few schools I’ve emailed seem to give me differing opinions. I’m just worried this is all a waste of time and money (already out of 10k for the post bacc).

That’s what I’m afraid of. I’m not in the position to do a masters degree. Seems like I get a different answer from everyone I ask. Even the few schools I’ve emailed seem to give me differing opinions. I’m just worried this is all a waste of time and money (already out of 10k for the post bacc).

If I were you I’d bust my butt to get straight As this semester and in the summer and apply. Then take classes in the fall and bust your butt too. You could always retake the DAT but that’s risky since you already have a pretty decent score.

If I were you I’d bust my butt to get straight As this semester and in the summer and apply. Then take classes in the fall and bust your butt too. You could always retake the DAT but that’s risky since you already have a pretty decent score.

I mean I could do that but what’s the point if it won’t move my undergrad gpa above a 3.0 to make the cut? And I can only take so many classes, I don’t receive financial aid and each class costs almost 3500, so that’s also a major financial strain. I’m hoping this research gig I have coming in the fall will make some kind of difference

Then a masters will likely be the best option for you, but know that some people with sub 3.0 GPAs do get in.

Why do you say that it a masters isn't something you'd consider?

Then a masters will likely be the best option for you, but know that some people with sub 3.0 GPAs do get in.

Why do you say that it a masters isn't something you'd consider?

Masters is just not feasible at this point in my life. I can’t quit my full time job, which is a career in the fire service at this point. Only time I’m quitting my job is when I get accepted into dental school. So I’m in a pickle right now. I’ve spent too much time and money already pursuing this to Abandon it altogether. There has to be another route other than masters, I hope.

I mean I could do that but what’s the point if it won’t move my undergrad gpa above a 3.0 to make the cut? And I can only take so many classes, I don’t receive financial aid and each class costs almost 3500, so that’s also a major financial strain. I’m hoping this research gig I have coming in the fall will make some kind of difference[/QUOTE

Honestly your best bet is to take classes until your oGPA, sGPA, and BCP is above a 3.0, and then retake the DAT and shoot for the stars. 23+ and a GPA above 3 while applying 15ish schools would give you a good chance. That’s all I can think of if you’re not willing to do a masters. As far as research goes marginally it doesn’t make sense. What you gain from any EC won’t go that far given that you already have good ECs. 3 months of research would be negligible in importance compared to 3 months of classes and studying for the DAT.

Research will count as credit, easy 4.0 from what I’ve heard of previous students. Only reason I’m taking it tbh

Masters is just not feasible at this point in my life. I can’t quit my full time job, which is a career in the fire service at this point. Only time I’m quitting my job is when I get accepted into dental school. So I’m in a pickle right now. I’ve spent too much time and money already pursuing this to Abandon it altogether. There has to be another route other than masters, I hope.
After my bachelors I was working full time for a little over a year (in a job that many make a career out of) while applying to dental school without any luck. I found a masters program that was 9 months. I took off those 9 months from working and completed the masters and then applied immediately after and just went back to working full time until dental school starts. Life doesn't always go as planned and sometimes you will need to change your plans to get to where you want to go.

That being said, you will need to absolutely shine during your masters program to truly have a shot. If you continue with your trend of 3.0-3.6, I wouldn't be so confident in your chances to getting into school. You would need every single class to be 3.6+ to weigh out for your uGPA.

As far as your DAT goes, congratulations! 21 is a solid score and I would not recommend retaking for the risk of scoring lower.

After my bachelors I was working full time for a little over a year (in a job that many make a career out of) while applying to dental school without any luck. I found a masters program that was 9 months. I took off those 9 months from working and completed the masters and then applied immediately after and just went back to working full time until dental school starts. Life doesn't always go as planned and sometimes you will need to change your plans to get to where you want to go.

That being said, you will need to absolutely shine during your masters program to truly have a shot. If you continue with your trend of 3.0-3.6, I wouldn't be so confident in your chances to getting into school. You would need every single class to be 3.6+ to weigh out for your uGPA.

As far as your DAT goes, congratulations! 21 is a solid score and I would not recommend retaking for the risk of scoring lower.
Ho

Was your masters science related? Also, if you don’t mind me asking, how old were you when you went through this?

Was your masters science related? Also, if you don’t mind me asking, how old were you when you went through this?
Yes it is. Started the masters at 25 as a family of 3 and a non working spouse. It can be done.

With the new AADSAS report format, you do get a post-bacc GPA, uGrad GPA, grad GPA, and oGPA.

Well that’s some good news. Will this impact how schools look at grades now?

Do you have a source for this please?
Just applied last year. I can confirm. I read that BCP is generally regarded as the most important GPA but it probably varies depending on the school.

Attachments

• 2018-04-21 (4).png
    2018-04-21 (4).png
    91.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 2018-04-21 (5).png
    2018-04-21 (5).png
    109.7 KB · Views: 43