Post Bacc Nor Cal (Help!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twofish

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I post this thead at the general forum, but just want to try my luck here

which one I should choose for post-bacc classes at Nor Cal?
1. Mills college
2. Cal state at Hayward
3. UCB extension
4. New College of California at SF (weekend classes for working adult)

Consider the following factors:
cost, reputation, quality, Medical school admission success rate etc.

Anyway can offer any input?
I'm desperately seeking some advice!

Members don't see this ad.

The Bio department is a joke. The program has no guidance at all. The students are the best part of the program. It is a lot of money as well. I'm not all that thrilled about the place.

To which program are you referring to?

Members don't see this ad :)
mjf,

he/she went to mills in oakland!

Hi!

I'm doing my post-bach work at SJSU and am very pleased with their informal program. I also was accepted at CSU Hayward and was happy with their advising as well. I decided on SJSU for two reasons though - 1) the university is a little more well-known; and 2) it's 10 minutes away from home as opposed to 30.

If you decide on CSU Hayward, let me know and I can put you in touch with the advisor there. He's really supportive!

Roselee

I'm starting my post bac work in June, 2004. I will most likely attend SFSU! I'm looking forward to leaving L.A. ;).

I am going to CSU Hayward. Seems to be a very nice informal program. Parking is key and little to no traffic. I've been barting recently which is not that bad. Only problem is that you must be committed to finding your own projects and planning things out yourself. Heard of people going to good schools such as harvard, UCSF, etc from this program. It's very much like a commuter school. Just pay your dues and get things done.

Working 50hrs a week makes is tough. I spoke with the head of the SJSU Post Bac pgm and he mentioned that due to school funding cut backs, there are no evening or weekend classes. UCSF is great if you don't need to work. I finally found New College offers a 24hr cert in basic sciences with weekend classes only.
Since I already have a BA (88)/MBA (04) and all of the pre-med classes already, this is a refresher for the MCAT in Aug and a demonstration that I'm still academically competitive. Best of luck whatever you choose!

GrandPa
:)

Roselee - I am trying to get into the SJSU postbacc program. Just contacted the advisor to get some information about the program. Can you tell me - is it difficult to get in, and how are you finding the class load? I am planning to work evenings or weekends in addition to taking the program.