Post-Bacc options around SF Bay Area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TEnsai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking specifically for GPA boost type of program for my undergrad GPA. Since my undergrad major was in a science degree, I don't qualify for Mills College. I've been looking at both the UC Ext and SFSU. The lack of lab class along with lecture in UC Ext concerns me a little bit (not sure if lab instruction is important if I am attempting to replace previous grades, i.e. Ochem).

I can't seem to find the website specific for SFSU's post-bacc programs. I'd appreciate it if someone can link me to the page, or recommend other post-bacc programs around bay area for gpa boost.

thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Here is the SFSU link:
http://online.sfsu.edu/~brothman/Post-Bac2.HTM

As for UC, you can enroll in regular lecture/lab courses with the undergrads without being formally admitted if there is space in the class. Some courses may be restricted, but you can generally take most classes through concurrent enrollment (you get the registration forms at the UC Ext office and have the instructor sign them). Considering that there are a lot of competitive pre-meds at UC, the courses can be pretty tough.

Another option is taking courses at any community college (this is a lot cheaper and the classes are smaller, but some med schools might discourage this, so this has its pros and cons).

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions and good luck!

sillystring said:
As for UC, you can enroll in regular lecture/lab courses with the undergrads without being formally admitted if there is space in the class.
I can almost guarantee you won't find any room in a Berkeley course. They'll blame it on "budget cuts." It's of relatively poor quality anyway. My guess is you'll find better instruction at the JC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
TEnsai said:
Hi,

I am looking specifically for GPA boost type of program for my undergrad GPA. Since my undergrad major was in a science degree, I don't qualify for Mills College. I've been looking at both the UC Ext and SFSU. The lack of lab class along with lecture in UC Ext concerns me a little bit (not sure if lab instruction is important if I am attempting to replace previous grades, i.e. Ochem).

I can't seem to find the website specific for SFSU's post-bacc programs. I'd appreciate it if someone can link me to the page, or recommend other post-bacc programs around bay area for gpa boost.

thanks,
Although not a "postbac," because these are generally regarded as low-tier, poor quality cash cows, this one might get you where you want to go if you can gain admission: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/biology/programs_msc.html
9 months. better than ivy. & best of all, sure to own the Big Game this year.

cardinal rocks!

housecleaning said:
Although not a "postbac," because these are generally regarded as low-tier, poor quality cash cows, this one might get you where you want to go if you can gain admission: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/biology/programs_msc.html

cardinal rocks!

first of all, yay cardinal (i just graduated undergrad)! although, i think i'm misunderstanding your advice... i just looked at that program in stanford's bulletin, and it requires you have the equivalent of a biology major... which includes chem, physics, etc, right? i'm looking for a program that will allow me to take these classes, not one that requires i already have. so i'm assuming this MS program is out of the question, right? so far i have taken the hum bio core (without labs) and chem 31... will this allow me to apply for the program? and if so, will being in the program allow me to take my premed reqs? any help is much appreciated...

housecleaning said:

cardinal rocks!

How are post-bac programs regarded as low-tier, when many of them are at Ivy League, Private Schools and also offer linkage programs to top-tier universities? I can see the cash-cow, thing, but some of us are willing to pay the big bucks if it means getting into a good school. Please explain.

Oops... guess you can't.

At San Jose State University, one which in my opinion is a nicer and better campus compared to SFSU, also has an informal post-bacc program. Eventhough at SJSU there's no student-run post bacc club but you can still join the AMSA with a large percentage of members are post-bacc students. Also, at SJSU you also have access to pre-med advisors, joint program with Stanford and the rent in San Jose is less expensive than in SF. I am a post-bacc student at SJSU myself this semester and I am happy with the experience. :thumbup:

While I no longer live in the Bay Area (I miss it though, I hate hot weather), I explored post-bacc stuff before I moved here to southern California (because of volunteer commitments). Besides Mills, SFSU, and SJSU, consider CSU East Bay (formerly CSU Hayward) and Sonoma State (up in Rohnert Park). Also, UC Berkeley Extension is starting an evening Science Certificate program beginning Spring 2006, with evening classes that would qualify for medical school. UCLA Extension already has such a program, and some of the med schools (e.g. Harvard, Yale) with whom I spoke thought highly of the ULCA program. Of course, the UC Berkeley program may be different, but appears to be the same. Unfortunately, I don't have a direct link, but their general site is www.unex.berkeley.edu.

Be aware that many med schools want to see lower division "undergrad" grades in the sciences. When I spoke with a UCLA admissions advisor this week, she said for me to take premed as an undergrad (I already have a bachelors in the social sciences) and to not take any masters level stuff and to not take any courses that are also offered in medical school (such as anatomy and physiology).

alphahelix said:
...joint program with Stanford...
Huh? What joint program is that?

housecleaning said:
& best of all, sure to own the Big Game this year.

cardinal rocks!
just like how u guys owned davis.