Post Bacc Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlherbst

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my MCAT from June 5th test date and I have a 26 (8,9,9). I know the test is extremely hard, but a 26 won't cut it. I am 23, about to be 24, and have been out of college for 2 years (B.S. in Biology at University of Kentucky). I know the DO route is perfectly reasonable and definitely an option, but I really have my mind set for MD school.

Are there any post bacc programs that are still accepting individuals? I did really well in my classes during undergraduate (3.8 GPA) and have tons of hours volunteering, shadowing, and working. But that test just kills me.

My brother enrolled in UPenn's post bacc program and he just finished his first year of medical school at UPenn. He strongly advised me to do a post bacc after I told him my MCAT because it is so low and he did so well in his. However, I just got my score back and am late to all of the post bacc cycles.

Does anyone know of any post bacc programs that are still accepting? I haven't been able to find any and want to apply to some in the Fall but would like to see if any are still available. Thanks for any help that you can give me!

Members don't see this ad.

No post bac program will help you get into school with a 26.

And if you think the MCAT is hard wait till you take med school shelves and Step 1

Apply to Drexel's MSP program. Their MSP curriculum includes mcat preparation as part of its curriculum. You could apply next cycle.

Drexel and similar programs: about $50,000 per year and no data on the value of their MCAT prep.

Rigorous MCAT prep such as Kaplan/TPR: about $2500 to take a course from a reputable prep company that will guarantee your score (which means if you do the work they say you have to do and you don't get your goal, you get to keep using the prep course for free)

Buckle down and face your weaknesses. Classroom academics are not your weakness. The MCAT is just the first of many hours-long standardized tests that covers years of hard material. Don't screw around or lie to yourself about happens to you when you have to take one.

Best of luck to you.