MyNameIsAlex

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys

I am a canadian student debating whether or not i should do a post-bacc in the US and then apply to a US school (many US schools accept Canadians as "out of state" students)... or go to one of the top 3 caribbean schools..

if i do post-bac, im probably wasting an extra year... but may increase my chances of getting into a US school... + 50k tuition

if i go to caribs i save $ and time, but then... its a carib school, so there is alot of headache to deal with after...

any thoughts/advices would be very appriciated...

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
MyNameIsAlex said:
Hey guys

I am a canadian student debating whether or not i should do a post-bacc in the US and then apply to a US school (many US schools accept Canadians as "out of state" students)... or go to one of the top 3 caribbean schools..

if i do post-bac, im probably wasting an extra year... but may increase my chances of getting into a US school... + 50k tuition

if i go to caribs i save $ and time, but then... its a carib school, so there is alot of headache to deal with after...

Where do you want to ultimately practice? If the US, then you ought to do the post bac. Hurdles coming from th carribean are significant, and lots of doors will be harder to open. You do not "waste" a year by doing a postbac-- you are going to be a year older no matter what you do. A medical career is often 40 years long, so one, or even 5 years diversion to give yourself a softer landing is really not significant.

NVM3

D.D.S. In progress
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
Omaha
Status
Dental Student
I would recommend you stay in the US as much as possible. Like the post above mentioned, you seem like you are progressing faster by a year but in the long run, you may have difficulties practicing here. It's not worth the headache or questions you will have to face if you go off-shore. 1 year is nothing! I'm currently doing my post-bac at Creighton and its not bad at all (so far). Good luck.

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
MA
Status
Medical Student
If you want both sides of the story visit valuemd.com, that is where a majority of the caribbean grads/students post. You can find out there what the exact requirements are to practice in the states, etc. from people who are going through that process as we speak.

As you can already see this thread is filled with anecdotal advice and warnings on how you will be wasting money, education, time, your life, etc. by going caribbean, however you should talk to other students who are actually taking that path, not those who have never seriously considered it.

DrA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Medical Student
MyNameIsAlex said:
Hey guys

In the long run, you would be wasting a lot more money by going to the Caribbean...I say do a post bac program.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
The big 3 caribb schools ARE fairly decent and have acceptance stats on par with a few osteopathic schools...that being said just TRY to stay here...give at least one application cycle after a post bacc..if you don't get in then strengthen your app a bit reapply and throw in a few carribs or european schools...just make sure they meet all the state qualifications for where you want to practice.