Post-bacc or masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waitinggame15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently been accepted to a post-bacc program as well as a one year masters program. cGPA 3.6/sGPA 3.5. I'm retaking the mcat for improvement. The post-bacc has mcat course within the program whereas the master's program doesn't so I will have to take it outside of the program. Which is the best option to pursue this next year before applying to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Totally depends on which programs you're talking about. You should be asking to speak to alumni who are now in med school who had your stats going in. See the postbac forum down under interdisciplinary for program reviews.

3.6/3.5 is very high for doing more academics. Your GPA is not going to be your problem unless you're in California or similar.

MCAT prep is the least important aspect of a postbac. A postbac costs well over $20k and the most expensive MCAT prep is about $2500.

Consider rolling your own pre-app year, where you take a few more undergrad upper-div science classes, prep for an MCAT retake by April, and beef your app with clinical and research experiences.

Best of luck to you.

Totally depends on which programs you're talking about. You should be asking to speak to alumni who are now in med school who had your stats going in. See the postbac forum down under interdisciplinary for program reviews.

3.6/3.5 is very high for doing more academics. Your GPA is not going to be your problem unless you're in California or similar.

MCAT prep is the least important aspect of a postbac. A postbac costs well over $20k and the most expensive MCAT prep is about $2500.

Consider rolling your own pre-app year, where you take a few more undergrad upper-div science classes, prep for an MCAT retake by April, and beef your app with clinical and research experiences.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your quick reply. I have heard great things about the program which is why I opted to apply. Originally It provided linkage to their med school, but they took that aspect away this year.

Will the master's program be of benefit? It's UNMC one year medical anatomy. I'm concerned that if I do not take more classes before going to medical school then I'm not going to be as well prepared. I have opted to take a kaplan MCAT course this summer if I decide to go with the MS.

Pri 1: MCAT
Pri 2: great app complete in June
Pri 3: sanity
Pri 4: physical fitness
Pri 5: be young and fabulous while you're still young
Pri 10 or so: more academics to "prepare for med school"