Post-Bacc or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeghanMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I got to college I started with a major in molecular biology. I did fine but not good enough for med school plus the whole learning to study thing didn't click until my junior year. I now have a major in marketing and minors in psychology and biology. I have a 3.42 cGPA and have only taken 3 bio classes-- I dropped chem freshman year but am planning to take medical terminology, human physiology, and biostatistics soon. I go to a great university and will graduate in November (quarter system).

I have decided that what I really want more than anything is to be a doctor. My grades are almost all As now but I'm not sure if I should stay in school and take those pre-reqs or graduate in November and apply for a post-bacc pre med program. Thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you do a post bacc instead of staying at your university?

When I got to college I started with a major in molecular biology. I did fine but not good enough for med school plus the whole learning to study thing didn't click until my junior year. I now have a major in marketing and minors in psychology and biology. I have a 3.42 cGPA and have only taken 3 bio classes-- I dropped chem freshman year but am planning to take medical terminology, human physiology, and biostatistics soon. I go to a great university and will graduate in November (quarter system).

I have decided that what I really want more than anything is to be a doctor. My grades are almost all As now but I'm not sure if I should stay in school and take those pre-reqs or graduate in November and apply for a post-bacc pre med program. Thoughts??
I would stay in school and try to graduate with a dual major or a minor. You're familiar with the school and area, and have figured out how to succeed there. That could be beneficial in succeeding in the prereqs as well.

Reactions: 1 user