Post-bacc or re-apply??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsjones

tsjones
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new member but have viewed these forums for quite some time. I applied for the 2007 entering class, but didnt get in and know that is due to my DAT score. But I am considering the post-bacc program at Creighton, which a year of course work and review, but must complete with a 3.5 GPA and then get entrance to their dental school for the 2008 entering class. I am just wondering if I am settling and could do better on my DAT and re-apply? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you required to go to Creighton if you enter the program? If not, apply while you are in the program.

deadline has passed for creighton post-bac

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a similar situation. I graduated in '06 from NYU, Math, and with what were, in my opinion, very competitive grades, and am now contemplating taking biochem in a semi-post-bacc. environment. I am curious as to what admissions committees see as "Comptetive" DAT scores. My scores are is as follows: TA:19, Sci: 19, QA: 21, RC: 18, PA: 20, and I'd like to know if these would be considered "Competitive." Is it necessary to re-take them? I believe it couldn't hurt, but at the same time, I don't think it is necessary to do so considering the financial burden of doing so.

I have very similar scores to you and yes those scores are competitive.. BUT i think its a pcyhologyical thing when they see all 20's .. i think its kind of like going to a store when somehting is $1.99 you still think $1 not $2 even though you know its really $2 .. you get it? I would redo it.. if its still fresh in ur head

Hello, I am a new member but have viewed these forums for quite some time. I applied for the 2007 entering class, but didnt get in and know that is due to my DAT score. But I am considering the post-bacc program at Creighton, which a year of course work and review, but must complete with a 3.5 GPA and then get entrance to their dental school for the 2008 entering class. I am just wondering if I am settling and could do better on my DAT and re-apply? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am kind of confused about the post-bacc program... what exactly is a post-bacc program?

Is it like, you go into a "post-bacc" program where if you take the classes they give you and you earn a 3.5 (or higher) your automatically in thier dental school? what about dat score?....confused:rolleyes:

Ok so the I got an interview 12 people did and there is 5 slots open for this and I won't know until March 19th. But what the Post Bacc really is, is a year long program in which a Kaplan DAT course is req. and basic science review for the fall and spring semester at Creighton and working with the Dental school faculty of Creighton and have clinic on Fridays. You must complete with a 3.5 and have a 17. Once those requirements are met at the end of the year then you are guranteed entrance to their dental program. YOu cannot have a job for that year and cannot re-apply because you are committing to Creighton, granted you complete the program successfully. I was invited to apply from Creighton, but I am undecided because I don't know if I am ready to committ to Creighton, that's if I do get accepted.

If you think you can complete the program with a 3.5GPA and 17 DAT, I think you should accept it. A guaranteed acceptance is a guaranteed acceptance.

Ok so the I got an interview 12 people did and there is 5 slots open for this and I won't know until March 19th. But what the Post Bacc really is, is a year long program in which a Kaplan DAT course is req. and basic science review for the fall and spring semester at Creighton and working with the Dental school faculty of Creighton and have clinic on Fridays. You must complete with a 3.5 and have a 17. Once those requirements are met at the end of the year then you are guranteed entrance to their dental program. YOu cannot have a job for that year and cannot re-apply because you are committing to Creighton, granted you complete the program successfully. I was invited to apply from Creighton, but I am undecided because I don't know if I am ready to committ to Creighton, that's if I do get accepted.

so what's so bad about that? you're guaranteed a spot. it seems very easy.

Go for it. All you need is a 3.5 (probably the hardest part) and a 17AA on the DAT. If you take the Kaplan DAT program, I bet you will exceed that and hit an 18AA, 19AA, or perhaps a 20AA if you study hard. Even in a worst case scenario (say you goofed off a bit), then you could still hit 17AA and be fine in Creighton's eyes. The most glaring issue there that I see is maintaining the 3.5 GPA, so don't make a C in your studies. Study hard for your courses during the week, and hit the Kaplan DAT book on the weekends.

If I were you, I would go that route since it guarantees acceptance to their dental program. That kind of guarantee to a predental student is enough to make some eyes light up because the application process is so hit-or-miss in the current format. Don't forget that Creighton has a lot of attractive qualities as well, so you'd walk right into a good situation.

Hit 17AA on your DAT, maintain at least a 3.5, and you're in. No dilemma there.