Should I apply this cycle? / post bacc questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modelo

Reaction score
Current senior (21y/o M, california resident, Minority: mexican) at a UC (major:physiology) looking to apply this june. Worried my GPA is not good enough to get in. Currently sitting at cum. Gpa of 3.13 and Sci. gpa slightly lower than that. Assuming I get decent grades for the next 2 quarters, (I’m confident that I will) I’ll end up at about 3.25 at graduation (6/8 classes I’m taking in the next 2 quarters are science classes). Got a 21 on dat with lowest subsection of 20. Even with an upward trend for my last 3 quarters I’m not sure my GPA will be good enough to get in.

I’m planning on applying broadly to ~17 schools across the states.

UCLA
UCSF
UOP
USC
NYU (I KNOW these first 4 are a very long shot but thought I’d apply since they’re my state schools and would prefer to stay in state)
Western dental
ASDOH
Midwestern AZ
UNLV
Roseman dental
Howard dental
Touro
Tufts
Boston dental
Midwestern illinois
Detroit Mercy
UNE Dental

I have decent ECs including clinical research, DA for about 2 years (800 hrs so far), community outreach program, 80hrs shadowing, ~650 hrs as an ED medical scribe, and member of pre-dental club on campus. Currently sitting at only about 50 hrs volunteering (tutor for an org. that provides free tutoring services to underserved families) so looking to get that up in the next few months.

Have been thinking of ditching the application and applying for a post bacc instead but something (prob my impatience) is telling me to take the chance and apply this cycle anyway.

Here’s my question: Would it be possible for me to apply both to post baccs (apps due in March I believe) and to dental school in June? Only reason I’d be doing this is that if I don’t get into dental school I’d be able to start with my post bacc right away. Is this something that is ever done? Or is there some reason that it is recommended against? (besides the potential loss of time/money on post bacc applications in the case that you get into dental school).

Also feel free to chime in on if you think my school list is realistic, don’t go easy on me!

Thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Only thing with applying to the post-bacc concurrently with applying to dental schools is that if you tell them you're taking classes, and with your GPA, they might wait to see what your new grades are before extending you an interview. Which would then set you behind by around 4-5 months. Unless you're planning to do the post-bacc later. You wont find out your admitted until December 15th at the earliest. (unless you're planning to start the post bacc after Dec. 15th or the following year?)

Your school list is fine, mostly in-range schools plus some reaches. You'll need to get 20 more shadowing hours as the minimum for NYU is 100. Just make sure to get your app in right away in June and I think you should be alright. Check out Meharry too, they should meet your application criteria as well.

Hammer down and do well your last 2 quarters and really strive to get A's. This will help you out. Applicants have gotten in with your stats, you just need to make sure you apply early and to the right schools (which it seems like you will)

Have you ever connected with the HDA (Hispanic Dental Association)? I'm certain the California chapter/s are active, and you may be best served making sure you have mentors (note: plural) from a similar upbringing/background as your own or live/work in your area. I would encourage you to find community service activities that are not about tutoring or teaching; every predental student has that, so it won't help you stand out or show any additional interest that you may have serving others outside your community (even if it is your ultimate goal). As a dentist, you need to be comfortable reaching out to others or self-promoting yourself who is genuinely concerned with the holistic challenges one faces that contribute to oral health/systemic health issues.

Check the California Postbac Consortium. I don't know how many of these programs can accommodate predental students, so you might as well ask. I would focus on getting your postbac grades posted first before submitting an application, depending on what you can do as an enrolled postbac student.

Usually the challenges of doing well in dental school is about focusing on your priorities to pass your classes. Dentistry is hard because you have to be focused with improving your skills and confidence through repetition to hone your technique. Balancing your priorities and managing your time is essential, and even people who are relatively strong may find they need a little more help.