Post-bacc Plans/Reinvention Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpmehelpyouhelpme

Reaction score
Hi all,
So, I read @Goro's post on transcript repair around a year ago, and have been working on it slowly since while also working full time as a contact tracer (Summer 2020- April 2021)
Background - GPA ~2.51, MCAT (June) = 513 (128/128/126/131), ~1600 hours of clinical volunteering at FQHC's, ~200 hours of non-clinical volunteering, ~75 hours ED shadowing from a few years ago.

My original undergraduate path was pretty tumultuous, so before graduating I took a year off to do a year of AmeriCorps service to take a break, give back to the community, and really determine what to do as my career.

Since then, I took 16 credits at a 3.78 before graduating, and 8 DIY post-bacc credits this summer (A in a biology course, projected A in anatomy) for a total of 3.85 gpa over my last 24 credits after this summer.
Overall GPA will then be ~2.58 over 159 total credits.

Taken all pre-reqs except for Gen Chem 2 (I took a 2 credit supplementary chemistry class, but I'm guessing this doesn't count?)

I'd like to apply obviously mainly to DO schools next cycle, assuming that's realistic.
Questions:
  1. How many extra credits of undergrad coursework should I do, or how high should I try to push my GPA to get past screens?
    1. I've plugged my numbers in and can get to a 2.7 with 18 more credits after this summer, and to get to 2.8 it would take about 12 more on top of that.
  2. Should I try to get into SMP's after Fall semester to try to start on in Spring? Or just keep trying to raise my uGPA all year and apply to start one next fall as I'm submitting med school apps?
  3. Am I on the right path re-invention wise so far/What other holes do I have in my app? My thoughts are 1) recent/more shadowing 2) MD or DO LOR for DO schools, and 3) I don't really have any leadership experiences, and have minimal research experience.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

My original undergraduate path was pretty tumultuous, so before graduating I took a year off to do a year of AmeriCorps service to take a break, give back to the community, and really determine what to do as my career.
Your ECs are outstanding! Contact the registrar at your UG school to see if you can get a retroactive W for any F or D grade courses. This is a thing at some schools and the worst that they'll say is "no".
Since then, I took 16 credits at a 3.78 before graduating, and 8 DIY post-bacc credits this summer (A in a biology course, projected A in anatomy) for a total of 3.85 gpa over my last 24 credits after this summer.
Overall GPA will then be ~2.58 over 159 total credits.

Taken all pre-reqs except for Gen Chem 2 (I took a 2 credit supplementary chemistry class, but I'm guessing this doesn't count?)

I'd like to apply obviously mainly to DO schools next cycle, assuming that's realistic.
Questions:
  1. How many extra credits of undergrad coursework should I do,
Do another 8-10.
  1. or how high should I try to push my GPA to get past screens?
    1. I've plugged my numbers in and can get to a 2.7 with 18 more credits after this summer, and to get to 2.8 it would take about 12 more on top of that.
I think that you're reaching the point of diminishing returns.
  • Should I try to get into SMP's after Fall semester to try to start on in Spring?
I suggest an SMP. I don't know of any that start in spring.

Or just keep trying to raise my uGPA all year and apply to start one next fall as I'm submitting med school apps?
See above.
  • Am I on the right path re-invention wise so far/
You're doing great!
  • What other holes do I have in my app? My thoughts are 1) recent/more shadowing 2) MD or DO LOR for DO schools, and 3) I don't really have any leadership experiences, and have minimal research experience.
Forget about research. If you can shadow a DO, that will be helpful.

Reactions: 2 users
Your ECs are outstanding! Contact the registrar at your UG school to see if you can get a retroactive W for any F or D grade courses. This is a thing at some schools and the worst that they'll say is "no".

Do another 8-10.

I think that you're reaching the point of diminishing returns.

I suggest an SMP. I don't know of any that start in spring.

Or just keep trying to raise my uGPA all year and apply to start one next fall as I'm submitting med school apps?
See above.

You're doing great!

Forget about research. If you can shadow a DO, that will be helpful.
Thanks so much for the feedback! Looking forward to picking your brain again when I prepare to apply.

Reactions: 1 user