Post bacc? Please advise.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Explorer

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
MY question is this: Is it advisable to enroll in a university and take more undergrad science classes as opposed to doing an official post bacc program. For financial reasons, I must stay instate (SC), and I am not aware of any post bacc programs here. I have taken all of the pre-reqs but want to improve my GPA with some upper level biology, chem, etc. One year should do the trick. (I am graduating in May and am not considering grad school.)

Also, is it difficult to obtain loans for this type of work.

Can you suggest any other options?
All replies are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Nick

Members don't see this ad.

Explorer--
I took a few extra classes after I graduated, and I was not enrolled in an official "post bacc" program. My advisor told me that I would not be able to apply for financial aid if I was classified as a non-matriculating post bacc. She told me just to declare a major and then simply stop taking classes when I had taken all of the ones that I needed. So that's what I did and it worked for me...2 acceptances and one was my first choice. Good luck.

I didn't enroll in a "post bac" program either. I took most of the advanced biology courses at a local university, got letters of recommendations. and worked with a doctor at a local hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
Explorer,

Forgot to mention about financial aid. I intentionally did not get my degree while taking these classes so that I would still be eligible to get grants (pell, state grants, etc) as well as loans to finace my additional education.

I am planning on a diy post bacc.
Explorer, when you said you just took courses, did you mean, you did not declare a major but took individual courses?