SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Post bacc? Please advise.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Explorer, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Explorer

Explorer New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    MY question is this: Is it advisable to enroll in a university and take more undergrad science classes as opposed to doing an official post bacc program. For financial reasons, I must stay instate (SC), and I am not aware of any post bacc programs here. I have taken all of the pre-reqs but want to improve my GPA with some upper level biology, chem, etc. One year should do the trick. (I am graduating in May and am not considering grad school.)

Also, is it difficult to obtain loans for this type of work.

Can you suggest any other options?
    All replies are greatly appreciated.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jewel

jewel Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 4, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I took a few extra classes after I graduated, and I was not enrolled in an official "post bacc" program. My advisor told me that I would not be able to apply for financial aid if I was classified as a non-matriculating post bacc. She told me just to declare a major and then simply stop taking classes when I had taken all of the ones that I needed. So that's what I did and it worked for me...2 acceptances and one was my first choice. Good luck.
  4. Rawhide

Rawhide Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2001
    I didn't enroll in a "post bac" program either. I took most of the advanced biology courses at a local university, got letters of recommendations. and worked with a doctor at a local hospital.
  5. Rawhide

Rawhide Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2001

Forgot to mention about financial aid. I intentionally did not get my degree while taking these classes so that I would still be eligible to get grants (pell, state grants, etc) as well as loans to finace my additional education.
  6. risenshine001

risenshine001 2+ Year Member

Jun 25, 2012
    I am planning on a diy post bacc.
    Explorer, when you said you just took courses, did you mean, you did not declare a major but took individual courses?
  7. Lawper

Lawper In 3D Rocket Scientist 2+ Year Member

Jun 17, 2014
    New World
    I recommend creating your own thread since you bumped a thread from over a decade ago.
    frosted_flake likes this.