Post-Bacc. Premed Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eskramer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for anyone who has been preparing to enter a post-bacc. program or is in the same situation as I am. I was premed as an undergraduate, but later felt I couldn't commit the amount of time it took to pursue a md. I reget doing that now! I am currently working for a top investment company in LA for the past year now. I have been doing some real soul searching and looking back at my dream of med school, wondering if I still have the want to go back to school and commit myself to 10-15 more years of schooling. I have been doing some research on post-bacc. programs and finding out what it would take to get into medical school after attending one of these programs Unfortunetly, I did not get a good enough GPA at UC Davis (undergraduate) to meet the GPA requirements for many of these top post-bacc programs. Any suggestions on how I can get into these programs with a low GPA? If I do well, will med. schools see the improvement (along with good mcat scores) and admit me?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey - Well, I can only speak from my experience. I began undergrad as a premed and was actually kicke dout of school as a sophomore for sub-par performance. I did recover at a sub-par undergrad and went to a respectable graduate school. My undergraduate GPA was around 2.0 MS 3.9===

Barring my undergraduate record, I was accepted into Columbia's post-bacc program and after 3 years now have multiple acceptances to medical school. I will say this, given my history the advisors indicated it was critical for me to do well in the program (3.9, good MCAT). Essentially, I think you can really do well in these types of programs if you embrace they fact that you have done something different and arrived at your decision to pursue medicine and that it is an informed decision.

The applications for most post-bacc programs are relatively simple so I would say just apply - If you have the opportunity to visit you will get a feel for the atmosphere and student body (the best part about Columbia's - a great bunch of people).

Although, I am overjoyed by my acceptances I will say I have mixed feelings. The coursework was hard, the social isolation more severe than expected, and I have effectively given up my late twenties, early thirties. I surivived with the comradery of other students. It is very different than being out and working, you really need to build a new support network. Your current friends will only ask for you so many times before they get tired of hearing I have to study and stop calling. Not to be defeatist --- I am ecstatic and oew it to my program for getting me into medical school and woul ddefinately do it again.

kr2007, is the Columbia program only for ppl that haven't completed the science prereqs for med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a very similar situation. I graduated from the University of Colorado and moved out to San Diego, working in the biotech industry, climbing up the food chain. I graduated with a low low GPA and after some deep deep soul searching, quit my well paying job and am now in academic research about to be published (working for pennies). I have been researching post-bacs all over the country and what I have come up with is this:

1)You can complete a post-bac anywhere, it dosen't have to be formal, you don't need to dish out a ton of cash. Almost any school will fill this void, but try to do it at an established university, I would avoid Juniour Colleges.

2)I know sfsu and sjsu have post-bac programs that can help, large number of people in similar situations. Cheap Cheap. This is a plus.

3)Most of the UC programs are for underpriveledged/disadvantaged/reapplicants.

4)Go to the AAMC website. They have a comprehensive list of post-bac programs in every state. Good source for info.

5)Make sure it (post-bac program) is in a place where you can perform at a very high level. This of course is going to be your last chance.

6)Clinical experience is very important. Volunteer, do research, do it all if you can. You have to be able to show with out hesitation that you are informed about you choice and this is where you want to be.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll post if something else comes to mind.

It's tough to see all you buddies progressing through their careers, through their lives and essentially living the "good life" while I'm making all these sacrifices. For me, I can see no greater reward than being able to fullfill a dream I have had for soooo long and until now finally have the courage to make those sacrifices and achieve it. It's madenning that I could choose any other profession, make plenty of loot and my life would be soooooooooo much easier. But none of that material stuff would be able to measure up to the satisfaction of finally achieving the dream (doc Tooth). I'm getting all teary eyed just writing about it..sniff.

I am taking evening courses right now and will begin my post-bac this summer in texas (I heard their med schools are a little easier to get into;) ), and all ready my homies are bring down the heat. It'll be tough, of that I'm certain. But I want it so bad it hurts, it really hurts.

Peace and Keep you chin up!

Tooth

I'm pretty sure Columbia advertises their program as being primarily for people who have not already taken the prerequisite courses, but they accepted me.

I actually had taken Calc I, Bio, Chem (1 year), and Physics (1 year) and averaged a 1.2. Fortunately, I then changed majors and went to grad school. So don't worry so much about performance, nearly anything is redeemable. I will say it probably knocked me out of the most competitive schools, but I have been accepted at a few solid programs familiar with Columbia post-baccs. It is a well-respected and well regarded program (I have been told on interviews by ad com staff) Good luck.

2 words: Temple University. Large university, reasonably priced, linkage program. All I can say is it worked for me and several of my classmates.

There are a lot of formal programs with linkage.. where you don't even have to take the MCAT if you do well in the program (e.g. Bryn Mawr for one). Lots in the east coast.. not so many out west. If you aren't tied down by sig others and family and such, I suggest seriously checking out these east coast linkage programs (lots in PA) and going there to complete everything. They've got programs for people w/o pre-reqs and with. On the west coast (norcal) there's Mills College, but it's expensive and you might as well go to SJSU or SFSU. Good luck.

First time to post here.

Any good/bad words about the Georgetown SMP? :confused:

I'm also in this situation. I graduated from UCDavis last year with a decent GPA but no real direction, and only after I graduated did I decide I really want to pursue medicine (still kicking myself for not deciding sooner!). I still have to take the majority of my prereqs, and was naively convinced that I'd be able to talk to a few people at UCDavis and get them to let me enroll as a student again, thus reducing tuition significantly. Unfortunately I was told today that that's not a possibility.

I'm now faced with choosing one of the following:
1) Paying $152.50 per unit (I have to take about 45 units) at UCDavis through an extension course that only lets you register once all of the students have registered (and since pre-med classes are VERY popular, this means a horrible schedule if I can even get in to the classes).
2) Going to community college to complete the units. Main perk is it'd be cheap.
3) Enrolling in SJSU or SFSU's postbacc programs. I haven't researched this option yet, so I don't know too much about it.

My main questions are how are each of these routes regarded by admissions officials, and which will best prepare me for the MCAT. I'm willing to take out loans as long as I know whatever path I'm on will best help me in getting in to a good medical school.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

For those who already have their pre-reqs done, I've heard that the Georgetown SMP is the best. The pre-med advisor at the University of Maryland, Dr. Ulrich, told me the Georgetown SMP program had the best success rate of the post-bacc programs for getting people into med school.

I'm applying to that program right now. They have a form on yahoo groups and their website is pretty informative

ayj

is it true that post-bacc grades are averaged into your undergrad AMCAS grades? How would that work at a program like the G-twon SMP which has grades such as high pass--pass-no pass?

Thanks in advanced guys!

definitely try to go to a 4 year university over a community college.. some schools specifically say they want that. - sfsu and sjsu are just fine. i know a few who went there (to these state programs) and did quite well when it came to acceptances. as far as mcat prep goes, if your davis extension classes are the real classes the undergrads take, that is probably your best prep for the mcat. i found my state program a little light in some areas - but excellent in others. i took princeton review to make up for the lapses in material, but my hunch is that as long as the davis program are the same classes as the undergrads, you have a higher probability of covering all the material necessary for the mcat at a program like that rather than at a state program. if the davis program is just truly an extension program taught by non-davis faculty, then i'd take the classes at sfsu or sjsu. also try www.oldpremeds.net for more info and to get some other perspective at their forums. and yes, your post-bac gpa is calculated into your overall gpa. it is listed on a separate line though.

Thanks for the information, djw. The UCD extension program allows you to take the same classes all of the undergrads take, so I guess that looks like my best bet. And I'll definitely check out that site.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Yeah, thanks for all the good info. I'm pretty sure that I'll be applying to the G-town SMP this year. It fits my need for those with low GPAs and okay MCAT scores. Conversely, the UCD program appears that it focuses on the MCAT not GPAs. People currently attending the G-town SMP--please take a second to let me know how it is? Difficultly level? Have you already been accepted anywhere? Any would help. Thanks!

Kow-nelly:laugh:

Hi everyone,

Medical College of Virginia (MCV/VCU) also has a post-bacc program in the hard sciences (physio, anatomy, biochem, genetics, immuno). Most ppl do the physio program b/c its easier to get into and it the curriculum is not impossible (most ppl dont find this out until after they start). Its a really tough program overall, even harder than their M1 curriculum but it can really make you stand out if you end up doing well in the classes.

The anatomy concentration is the hardest to get into and by far the hardest curriculum. Everyone, irrespective of area of concentration, takes the same two core classes but the distinction comes in choosing your third (elective) class each semester. In physio (the concentration that i did last year), you have a list of like 10 electives to choose from. In the anatomy program, your elective is histology (hard class) first semester and neuroanatomy(v.hard class) second semester, so you really have no freedom in the anatomy program. However, the general concensus was that the anatomy program had the highest roll-over rate into MCV. Hope that helps...take care..:)

DOCTORSAIB

My two cents, on two points.

Point the first: You don't have to worry too much about getting into a 'top' post-bacc program. I've done mine at Hunter College, not for any admiration of the program but because as a NYC resident it was all I could afford (literally 1/10th the cost of Columbia, credit for credit). You may not have financial considerations. But I feel that when schools are looking at us post-baccers they tend to go less by conventional ideas of the rank of the schools we do work at, because they can see a larger picture. They see us (on paper) over a longer period of time, and give credit to us for possibly having more pressures in our lives, like jobs, debt, families which limit our school choices.

Point the second: Don't think of it as putting your life on hold. From the time I decided to go back until I am an MD will be 8 years. If you think of the school time as just some transition, something to be got through until you emerge on the other side as a doctor you will be miserable. You are living just as much of a life as a student as a professional. It's a hard thing but you've got to live in the moment and embrace the stage your at if you don't want to end up pulling your hair out in frustration.

Hello,

How much is tuition for different post-bac programs and how many years are each program (I believe some are 1 and some are 2??)?

Columbia is expensive!!!!

I think now it's about $838 a credit and here is the standard list of classes (credits)...

Calc (3), Bio I/II (6), Bio Lab (3), Chem I/II (6), Orgo. I/II (6), Chem and Orgo Lab (6), Physics I/II w/Lab (8)

It is definately an investment, but financial aid is available and a few scholarships --- for second years based on first year performance. The most significant ocnstraint is that the advisors recommend it a s a full-time program with limited work schedule --- read as big loans, no income. That, and trying to afford Manhattan.

I was able to work through the program but knew some other people who have had difficulty. I also looked into Hunter and NYU, but at Columbia's information session (call if you want to attend) they stated a 90% acceptance rate for people who finished the program.

Now that I am done, and accepted, I think it was worth it. I was accepted at four schools so far and really appreciate having some choice. What's the point of saving a few bucks if it doesn;t get you in. And once you are in medical school, the loans for post-bacc will seem minimal...

For whoever was asking about the Georgetown MSP program. My friend is in it now and she says it is living hell!!! She does not have a social life at all this year. You take classes with the med school students and are graded along with them so you're basically a first year med student. It kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me...a program to better your credentials while taking classes that you were deemed not on par with...hmmm....

Hi,

Tuition at MCV's post-bacc program was around 5K for the whole program (really cheap if you're VA resident) and around 15K (i think) if you're out-of-state.

The program is difficult, alot of ppl had trouble making B's and didnt end up graduating b/c they didnt make the minumum 3.0 gpa cut-off. Like the G'town program, its living hell but if you want it bad enough, you'll make it through. But you must go into these programs with the understanding that life will be VERY different and the theres alot of stress b/c of the sheer volume of material and the speed at which you're expected to learn it. Eventually, you get accustomed to the stress and really improve your studying habits. Afterall, isnt that why one would want to enter these programs in the first place....:)

DOCTORSAIB

Originally posted by FZISHN
Hello,

How much is tuition for different post-bac programs and how many years are each program (I believe some are 1 and some are 2??)?

If you happen to be a NYC resident, CUNY schools are the bargain - $160 a credit. My post bac work (not including biology 'cause I already took it) has cost me under $6000 over 3 years, going part time. I think this is comparable to most state schools for in state resident. When you look at the big picture of the cost of medical school, and realize that if you are not a degree candidate (ie a post-bac) you can't get any subsidized loans so you either pay out of pocket or get an interest-accruing loan to cover your post-bac costs, going the cheaper route is pretty sensible. Coming from a non-prestigous school, I've been accepted at SUNY Downstate, George Washington, and turned down interviews for other schools (Drexel, Tufts, Rush).

How good is George Washington Med. School? Haven't heard much about it.

what about harvard extension? dr. lewis or whatever the hell her name is (the private pre-med advisor for$$$$) says to avoid extension schools at all costs...but it IS harvard.......??????

Harvard Extension is cheap, around 600 per semester.

Summer school classes at harvard are the regular undergrad rate.

As for "don't take extension school classes" I wold say don't unless its at Harvard or another program that has the kind of reputation their program has. These classes are equal in difficulty to undergrad and the competition is equally as keen. Furthermore, they offer many accredited degrees through the extension school.

I would imagine that there are some extension schools out there that are simply continuing education and do not offer degrees.

Has anyone completed or is currently completing the Post-Bacc program at UConn for dental or medicalschool? If so, were you offered "pre-acceptance" into UConn Dental/Medical School if you met DAT/MCAT and GPA requirements? Or do you know of someone who was? If yes, then what sort of agreement was made? What are your DAT/MCAT scores (if any)? What's your cumulative GPA? What's your science GPA? Any volunteer/research experience? Since SAT scores are required for application to the Post-Bacc, how much do you think they were considered? Could you "prove" yourself in one year and avoid the lag year for application?

I haven't taken the DATs or MCATs yet, but I've completed several science courses as an undegrad, but want to refresh my knowledge for the DAT/MCAT (it's been 6 years since I took Organic Chemistry), and I want to improve my record. My SAT's were 99th percentile, my cum GPA is a 3.41, and grad school GPA was 3.5. My science GPA is 3.0, but I would like to raise that up a bit. Please let me know about your experience with the program. Thanks!!!!

ParanoidAndroid,
I haven't heard anything about the post-bacc at UConn but like you, I'm also concerned with the lag year if I were to do one of these programs. I've been researching Georgetown's SMP and they encourage their students to apply prior to starting classes in August. They tell you to include the anticipated classes you will take in your AMCAS. Later on, they write a nice letter to the schools you're applying to and emphasize what a great program it is along with sending a copy of your 1st semester grades. However, I'm not really sure how this will help in the application since that's practically what I did this application cycle. (Albeit, I did an informal post-bacc. on my own and just took undergraduate classes through extension.) I only got one interview and was then waitlisted. I would love to hear from others who've gone through a post-bacc/masters and had luck applying the same year that they were doing the program. Any of you guys out there????
:)

rebaj,
By the way, that's exactly what I did this application cycle. I took undergraduate classes at the UCs in California through their extension program. Like someone indicated earlier, it's affordable with $150 per unit. However, I was a part time student (taking 2 classes a quarter) and although I did fairly well in them, my GPA really didn't increase that much. Therefore, I think, although taking classes at a state school through an extension program is financially beneficial, one might consider a more intense/formal Post-bacc. or Master's program if they want to get into medical school as quickly as possible.

Does anyone know anything about San Francisco State Post Bacc-Program. With med school so expensive and living over here on the west coast. I can't see myself going back east to go to a post bacc college for $25,000/year. any sugestions?

eskramer

I spoke with the pre-med advisor at sfsu and he was very helpful in answering any questions. His name is Barry Rothman. PM me if you want his e-mail.

The program is cheap ($2,000) for fulltime 1 year of studies. From the information I have the program is not formally "structured". You will take the courses tailored to your needs and you will be taking courses with other undergrads. From what I understand, it appears as though there is a community of post-bac students at sfsu and they even have their own pre-medical committee. People I have spoke with expressed that sfsu (Post-bac) students routinely get accepted into medical school. Applications should be in around march.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Tooth

I haven't read all the posts here so I apologize if some of this is redundant.

I graduated from Columbia's postbac program a few years back. It has it's pluses and minuses. But if you stick it out at their program, and do well, you will get into medical school. It's pretty much that simple. Some facts about the program....

First off, it is no cakewalk. Just because you get in does not mean you will finish. They're attrition rate is 40%. In order to emphasize this I'll tell you my roommate had recently obtained his doctorate from MIT in nuclear engineering and he chose to withdraw from the program because he "didn't want to deal with all the stress." Of course, he was getting As at Columbia, but he couldn't handle the stress level and workload that came with them.

Tuition when I went there was about $2K a class. Manhattan is expensive, but Morningside Heights (where CU is located) is less expensive than lower Manhattan. I relocated from Texas so they gave me a university housing contact at the tune of $500/month. It's hard to beat that anywhere in NYC.

It is easy to get into Columbia's program. They'll take anyone with a GPA of 3.0 or higher from their undergrad years. Like I said before though, it is much harder to stay there than get in.

The literature when I went there said that students that successfully complete their program obtain admission 89% percent of the time. That is far and away better than most other programs out there. Everybody I know that finished got into some medical school. The ones that didn't I heard, I'm sorry to say, were mostly those applicants that above forty years of age. The program got me into three (two MD and one DO) with a 3.3 Postbacc GPA and 32 MCAT. I'm happy with the medical school I now attend, and see Columbia as integral in my success, so perhaps I might be a little biased.

If you really want to get into medical school and are willing to do whatever it takes, and you have a GPA above 3.0, I would say go to Columbia. If you work hard and make the necessary sacrifices, you will get into medical school.

To research it more, go to www.columbia.edu and follow the links to the School of General Studies.

Good luck.

Plinko or anyone else,

Is the Columbia program designed just for people who haven't done any premed requirements? I have done all my prequistes however, my gpa is only around a B, so I need to do a postbacc. Thanks.

Wonderboy,

Only a few of my classmates had taken some of the premed prereqs. I can't think of anyone that had taken all of them. Try taking a look at University of Pennsylvania's "Special Sciences Program." It caters to students such as yourself.

Good luck.

Hi. I am currently a student in UConn's Post-Bacc Program and love it. The program is very small (about 12-15 students) and has a 1 year or 2 year option depending on what prereqs you have already completed. Check out uchc.edu for info on the UConn Medical School and the Post-Bacc Program.

As a UConn post-bacc all classes are taken at the main UConn campus in Storrs, CT. We have advisors at Storrs and at the medical school. The classes taken are with undergrad and grad students and the quality of the instructors has been excellent. The advisors are wonderful and the other students in the program are great. There is no acceptance to the medical school until you have completed all of the requirements including the MCAT; however, a high percentage (I believe its around 85-90%) are accepted when they have successfully completed the program. Most students take the April MCAT and find out in June if they are accepted to start medical school in the fall which prevents the 'lag year' if you plan on attending UConn. It is not an automatic acceptance based on a certain GPA and MCAT. All post-baccs go through the normal application and interview process.

My undergrad was in Biomedical Engineering and my GPA was very low due to a chronic illness during my undergrad years. I took several classes on my own at UConn before applying to the program since I had been out of academics since 1990. There is a broad range of ages and academic backgrounds amongst the UConn post-baccs. I have maintained high GPA since returning to school and scored very well on the MCAT last August. It is a demanding program, and I feel it has given me excellent preparation for medical school. One of the best things about this program is the support and friendship between the post-bacc students. I don't know the first year students well, but those of us who are finished this year are good friends. It is quite possible to 'prove' yourself in one year. You will have two semesters of a heavy load of science courses and will be expected to maintain a high GPA in addition to preparing for and taking the MCAT.

If you have any questions about the program, contact Dr. Keat Sanford at UConn Med. School. Dr. Sanford is the Director of the program and is the best person to answer any questions you may have.

beanbean,
Did you apply with AMCAS the same year that you were in the UConn post-bacc. program? You mentioned that most of the students were admitted into med. school after completing the post-bacc., it seems to me that most schools would want to wait and find out how well one does in the program before deciding to admit. In general, (for anyone out there who can enlighten me) I'm curious to know whether applying the same year or waiting a year (having a "lag year") if you're in a post-bacc./master program proves the most successful. Does anyone have any thoughts out there on this issue? I've been thinking about doing a post-bacc. or a master but can't decide whether to apply for 2004 or 2005. It seems more logical to apply for 2005 since my GPA is the weakest part of my application and I won't know my grades until I finish the program. Then again, do schools look favorably upon the fact that you're in post-bacc./master and give you the benefit of doubt?

beanbean,

Thanks for the insight! I'm sending in my application for UConn Post-bacc today. I've worked on the essays for weeks, and I can't bear to edit again. I only need a year's worth of work (I've completed all the pre-req's). I might take organic chemistry again this summer to get a jump start. Also, thanks to everyone else who replied!

I was at the Bryn Mawr Postbac program last year, and that was a quite nice experience. I think in general most of my postbac classmates found it a positive experience, though some individual professors were frustrating. It's a nice small liberal arts college in a lovely suburb of Philadelphia, and it has it's pros and cons. The premed advising is pretty good, and they do a lot of the work for you in taking care of the recommendations and transcripts and etc., which comes in really handy. It has linkage programs with 8 or 9 pretty good schools, the attrition rate is very low, and something like 97% of the graduates go on to medical school (though that's mostly because the students they accept are ones who would likely have no trouble getting into medical school via any other route, anyway). The cost is the main drawback...and the all-women's college is either a pro or a con, depending.... ;)

Does anyone know the email/phone # for Barry Rothman at San Francisco State University. He is the contact for the post-bacc program. All I get is a message. I would like to talk to someone directly. thanks

Originally posted by kr2007
Hey - Well, I can only speak from my experience. I began undergrad as a premed and was actually kicke dout of school as a sophomore for sub-par performance. I did recover at a sub-par undergrad and went to a respectable graduate school. My undergraduate GPA was around 2.0 MS 3.9===

Barring my undergraduate record, I was accepted into Columbia's post-bacc program and after 3 years now have multiple acceptances to medical school. I will say this, given my history the advisors indicated it was critical for me to do well in the program (3.9, good MCAT). Essentially, I think you can really do well in these types of programs if you embrace they fact that you have done something different and arrived at your decision to pursue medicine and that it is an informed decision.

The applications for most post-bacc programs are relatively simple so I would say just apply - If you have the opportunity to visit you will get a feel for the atmosphere and student body (the best part about Columbia's - a great bunch of people).

Although, I am overjoyed by my acceptances I will say I have mixed feelings. The coursework was hard, the social isolation more severe than expected, and I have effectively given up my late twenties, early thirties. I surivived with the comradery of other students. It is very different than being out and working, you really need to build a new support network. Your current friends will only ask for you so many times before they get tired of hearing I have to study and stop calling. Not to be defeatist --- I am ecstatic and oew it to my program for getting me into medical school and woul ddefinately do it again.

Hey, I'm in my first semester at Columbia's Post-Bacc program and Physics is killing me.

So in your opinion, did Columbia have a lot to do with you getting into med school? For those thinking of attending either a non-formal program or one that is less expensive, do you think it was all worith it?

OnyxGaia

Originally posted by Plinko
I haven't read all the posts here so I apologize if some of this is redundant.

I graduated from Columbia's postbac program a few years back. It has it's pluses and minuses. But if you stick it out at their program, and do well, you will get into medical school. It's pretty much that simple. Some facts about the program....

First off, it is no cakewalk. Just because you get in does not mean you will finish. They're attrition rate is 40%. In order to emphasize this I'll tell you my roommate had recently obtained his doctorate from MIT in nuclear engineering and he chose to withdraw from the program because he "didn't want to deal with all the stress." Of course, he was getting As at Columbia, but he couldn't handle the stress level and workload that came with them.

Tuition when I went there was about $2K a class. Manhattan is expensive, but Morningside Heights (where CU is located) is less expensive than lower Manhattan. I relocated from Texas so they gave me a university housing contact at the tune of $500/month. It's hard to beat that anywhere in NYC.

It is easy to get into Columbia's program. They'll take anyone with a GPA of 3.0 or higher from their undergrad years. Like I said before though, it is much harder to stay there than get in.

The literature when I went there said that students that successfully complete their program obtain admission 89% percent of the time. That is far and away better than most other programs out there. Everybody I know that finished got into some medical school. The ones that didn't I heard, I'm sorry to say, were mostly those applicants that above forty years of age. The program got me into three (two MD and one DO) with a 3.3 Postbacc GPA and 32 MCAT. I'm happy with the medical school I now attend, and see Columbia as integral in my success, so perhaps I might be a little biased.

If you really want to get into medical school and are willing to do whatever it takes, and you have a GPA above 3.0, I would say go to Columbia. If you work hard and make the necessary sacrifices, you will get into medical school.

To research it more, go to www.columbia.edu and follow the links to the School of General Studies.

Good luck.

Plinko,

The ones that were above 40 years didn't get in because they didn't do well or because of their age? Hmm. I'll be 38 by the time I apply. Would you say the pre-med advisors are prejudiced against older students? Is that reflected in the recommendation letter?

Onyx

Hey,
I suggest you to a pharmacy school(where you take some classes with medical students) and apply MD programs while in pharmacy.....So even if you get rejected, you have $80-$100k job waiting for you.,...i guess it doesn't sound bad.

I'm doing post bacc work at SFSU right now.
the best way to contact Barry is by email, he's responsive and impossibile to get by phone. If you email the health professions advising committee, [email protected], they will forward it to him. You can also pm me for his email or just find his address on the sfsu site somewhere, probably.

I've been pretty happy with my experience here at sfsu, and there are tons of other postbaccs to study and commiserate with...though mind you THIS IS NOT A FORMAL PROGRAM IN ANY SENSE. Most of us are either enrolled as second bachelor's degre candidates or taking classes through the open university program or as undeclared (?) grad students. Some teachers are fabulous, others are not so good, like at any university; it depends on who you get when you decide to take a class. Most people i know have had very successful with getting into med school.

However, seeing as how you're already in San Diego, can't you just take classes at san Diego State and not uproot yourself? (assuming you like it where you are). I really don't see that one school would be better or more respected than another, the only benefit at sfsu might be that there really are a lot of other students in you situation.

at any rate, I say save some scrilla and forget the formal programs (unless you want the linkage opportunity).