Post Bacc problem, please HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Masha23

Masha23
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated college as a humanities major. then thought of med school and applied to a post-bacc program at a school nearby. ive taken about half the coursework, and due to ongoing family issues have done not-so-hot in my classes. I am thinking of starting over completely at a different school (now I have bad associations with the original place).
I have several questions...
is it going to look godawful on my med school applications when they see i did this? or will I have a chance to explain the situation?
do i even have a shot, given this record, of getting into a good med school?
and finally, what are some post-bacc programs in NYC

Members don't see this ad.

1) Not finishing something you started is a red flag for adcoms.
2) Not knowing how "bad" things are all I can say is it depends on your overall and med school prereq GPA. If its below 3.5, its not going to be easy. Below 3.0, its going to be extremely hard.

Work to finish strong, and have a backup plan in case things are hopeless.

what are some post-bacc programs in NYC

The best-known programs are at Columbia (private, very expensive) and Hunter (public, much cheaper). Both have had good success in getting students into med school. I'd recommend Hunter, given that it's cheaper.

CCNY (aka City College) and NYU also have programs, but they're considerably less well-known than the first two.

The topic was discussed a while ago in [thread=555291]this thread[/thread].

Hi Masha, I'm in the Hunter postbacc program now. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I definitely think Hunter is the best option for those who live in NYC.