UCAL04Grad

Eagle
10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
Has anyone applied to any Post-Bacc Programs to get into D. School?

Is it better to apply to a Masters Program or Post-Bacc Program?

Dentist 2 be

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Status
Non-Student
I don't think there is such a degree as post-bacc. When doing a post-bacc, you take courses after you have completed a bachelors. Post-baccs are usually for those who want to increase their science GPA or who have graduated, but haven't fullfilled the science requirements in order to matriculate into dental school. A master's is an actual degree. You can do either. However, you have to apply to get a master's degree. I would just do post-bacc. It's good enough to get you in if you do well, unless you want to do a master's for your own personal pleasure.

sidewalkman

15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2004
A minor point: there are post-bacc "certificates," but you can't really get a job with them or anything. Programs give out useless certificates mostly to get their students eligible for federal student loans (you can't get them if you're not a degree-seeking student).

As for post-bacc or master's: depends on your stats and what you like doing. Check out the post-bacc forum.

OP
U

UCAL04Grad

Eagle
10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
sidewalkman said:
A minor point: there are post-bacc "certificates," but you can't really get a job with them or anything. Programs give out useless certificates mostly to get their students eligible for federal student loans (you can't get them if you're not a degree-seeking student).

As for post-bacc or master's: depends on your stats and what you like doing. Check out the post-bacc forum.

I apllied to 21 D. Schools this year, atteneded a few interviews, recieved a number of Rejections. I haven't heard anything from the schools I did interviews at. Apparently, my Scinece GPA is low. Some tell me to finish a Masters Program in Science to improve Science GPA, and some tell me to apply for Post Bacc. I don't really care to have an additional degree, I just wanna get into D. School the most effective way possible. Any Suggestions?

Dentist 2 be

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Status
Non-Student
UCAL04Grad said:
I apllied to 21 D. Schools this year, atteneded a few interviews, recieved a number of Rejections. I haven't heard anything from the schools I did interviews at. Apparently, my Scinece GPA is low. Some tell me to finish a Masters Program in Science to improve Science GPA, and some tell me to apply for Post Bacc. I don't really care to have an additional degree, I just wanna get into D. School the most effective way possible. Any Suggestions?
I would try to contact the schools which you are most interested and see what they say. How low is your science GPA? A masters vs post-bacc also depends on how many classes you will need to take (also, do very well in) in order to raise your GPA. I'm not sure if post-bacc GPA gets counted seperately form your bachelor's GPA or combined. You'll definetly get in somewhere with a masters assuming you do well. A post-bacc is also great but again it depends on how low your sci GPA is.

OP
U

UCAL04Grad

Eagle
10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
Dentist 2 be said:
I would try to contact the schools which you are most interested and see what they say. How low is your science GPA? A masters vs post-bacc also depends on how many classes you will need to take (also, do very well in) in order to raise your GPA. I'm not sure if post-bacc GPA gets counted seperately form your bachelor's GPA or combined. You'll definetly get in somewhere with a masters assuming you do well. A post-bacc is also great but again it depends on how low your sci GPA is.
Science GPA of 2.9
Overall 3.3
DAT 20

William Olympus

D.M.D.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
Status
I actually never applied to a formal post bacc program, but I was told if you take the prereqs, do quite well, shadow in clinics or practices, and ace the DAT you'll stand a good chance at getting into some good schools.

It's been two years and I'm heading to Penn in the fall. I feel like I snuck in, but evidently it worked.

frogger33

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
Status
Ok, it seems you DO NOT need another degree or masters b/c your stats are pretty good, but instead just take post-bac classes.

I graduated as a business major and HAD to do some post-bac work to meet the requirements for dental school.

SO.... here is what you need to do. Find a university in your area that allows non-degree seeking students (some universities do and some do not) and apply. Having a degree you WILL be accepted. Then you just sign up for some upper-level science classes and get your science GPA up!! It seems like you will only need a few classes to bring it up. Therefore doing it this way you "waste" a year versus 3 or 4 just to get a masters. :)

DMD-2-B

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
While we're on this delightful topic... :p

Does anyone know how important the name of the school where I do my post-bacc is?

I am choosing between:

- Hunter (cheap, sort of good name, and 45 min train commute),
- Columbia (expensive, famous name, 1 hr commute),
- and a local community college (cheap, no name, 15 minutes by car).

I wanna get into Columbia dental and need to boost my gpa big time, and rock the DAT. I'm aiming for a 4.0 gpa for post-bacc and I think I can do it!

Any suggestions?

frogger33

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
Status
I would stick with a university over a community college b/c the level of the class is different. Besides, some schools only accept so many hours from a community college.

It might look nice if you went to Columbia b/c it would show "interest" in their school. HOWEVER, I personally would go with the cheaper school since you will spend so much for D-School anyhow.

TylerDMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
Status
I know NOVA and VCU have programs where you take dental classes WITH dental students (as a post-bac). If you get Bs or better, you're guaranteed a spot for the following class and do not have to repeat those classes you took! Seriously, VCU has this on their website and NOVA will tell you about if you call.

frogger33

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
Status
TylerDMD said:
I know NOVA and VCU have programs where you take dental classes WITH dental students (as a post-bac). If you get Bs or better, you're guaranteed a spot for the following class and do not have to repeat those classes you took! Seriously, VCU has this on their website and NOVA will tell you about if you call.
That is pretty crazy and does not seem fair (but good for the individual I guess). I

i have a question about this though... if you pass biochem, anatomy, etc.... as a post-bac at these schools then do you just take 2 classes as a first year student?? That seems so strange!!

DMD-2-B

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
frogger33 said:
That is pretty crazy and does not seem fair (but good for the individual I guess). I

i have a question about this though... if you pass biochem, anatomy, etc.... as a post-bac at these schools then do you just take 2 classes as a first year student?? That seems so strange!!
Wow! That IS really surprising. As appealing as it sounds, I'd like to stay in NY so those options wouldn't really work for me.

So community college is definately a no, huh? There are other State Universities close by to me, but they may not have as good of a name as Hunter (not like that's Harvard or anything, but people have heard of it atleast, I think.......).

Would Hunter, who has an official post-bacc program, have an advantage over these state universities?

Bullfan16

Certifiable Quad Streaker
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
Status
To the poster who mentioned NOVA's pre-dental program as well as VCU's D 1/2 program (rather than D1 or D2).......its not as cut and dry as you think. First off, you have to apply to these programs and seeing that VCU receives state support it might be harder to apply as an out of state student (not sure about this...call the school). Also, because many want to do these programs there is a large amount of competition compared to how many spots that are open. Ask Comet208 about this...he knows a lot about NOVA's program. He told me about 5 pre-dental students get accepted to the program out of >30 who get interviewed (those who just made the first cut). Also, something that isnt true is what was mentioned about grades....at NOVA if you get a 90% or above (A) in any of your classes, you get credit for it and dont have to take it again...if you get a B you get to move on and if you get lower than a B you have to take the class over again and may lose your spot in next years D1 class and may have to repeat the year. From what I hear the environment is extremely competitive and there are no guarantees.

This is my second year applying to dental school. Personally, I think as long as you show you are progressing and taking many upper level science courses that you have a good chance to gain admission. Just do well in the classes. I would call Columbia and ask them what school would be better....but if I were you I would worry more about grades and less about name of the school (esp. because better school = better competition). With a 20 and 4-7 classes of upper level sciences you should be golden. Also, it doesnt matter where you go to school........just get in somewhere. I know Columbia has a great reputation among this forum...but once you get out of school nobody will care where you went to school. In case you are wondering I started an MS program here in Chicago in Biotechnology. Basically I am taking the upper levels and TAing for a class. Its a 2 year program but I am only doing one year as I was accepted to a dental school. It kind of works out, however, as even if I hadnt gotten in this cycle I could have improved my status that much more by finishing the MS....and would have more classes as well as research under my belt (but I have to say I am glad I dont have to do it). The drawbacks are that its expensive b/c its private and there is a lot of administrative crap that we deal with...but in the end....I bet it helped increase my chances. I also think merely applying twice really helped my chances....but in saying that.....if you only do that your chances stay the same as the year before. So, the point is, do something! With a 20 I am confident you will get in somewhere next year. Hope this helped.

excite4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Status
UCAL04Grad said:
There is a Post Bacc Program at UCSF for people who are interested in attending dental school, have applied, and were rejected by every school. I thinks its a full year and they pay for living. I think that it is has like a 100% success rate with all students to participate have been accepted to dental school afterwards. If this is the type of thing your interested in I believe they have info on their website.

Hope this helps!