Post bacc program??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highroller31

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am posting this because I have many questions to ask. I have sub 3.0 gpa graduated as bio with DAT score of AA 18. I've applied fall 08 cycle.. but got denied to most of the schools. (I've actually applied very late...december..)So I'm also considering about doing post bacc program. I currently live in california, and it seems like most of post bacc they offer require a minimum gpa of 3.0 which I dont have. Does anyone know any good post bacc program that I may be get into and what are my chances for getting into fall 09 cycle if I do get into some post bacc program? n without if i apply earlier after raising my DAT score? I believe I can raise my DAT score a bit higher. QR really dropped my grade down. Please, someone help me out~!

Members don't see this ad.

There are some postbac programs that don't require a 3.0 but it will probably be difficult for you to get in because applicants are getting more more competitive. I would suggest applying to numerous Biomedical Science master programs. As well as two years masters (check Barry university's BMS program). There is also the option of UC Berkley's medical post bac. Unfortunately, I would count on a higher DAT being your ticket. It would be quite a gamble. In the mean time why don't you take a bunch a of JC science classes to boost your GPA and your chances of being accepted into a masters program. One thing also I would suggest if to be very careful when choosing a one-year masters because some of them will require you to take all your classes with first year medical students. Avoid these ones because it will be very difficult to achieve a high GPA in these programs. So basically make sure you look at the curriculum. PM me if you have any other questions... Goodluck...

Check out UC Berkeley's Extension Program:

http://www.unex.berkeley.edu/profseq/premed.html

The site does say that you need a gpa of 3.0, but I would call them to find out if you could still attend.

This program looks great in the sense that they offer a ton of classes and that they are in the evening. Therefore, you could still work a part-time job.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the Berkley Program you only need like a 2.7 I think...

you can take classes at large at a UC school to get your GPA up to 3.0. you will have to improve your DAT too. your gpa and dat are below average, and applying early probably wont help

Well, I took bunch of classes in CC before I transfered. Taking some classes at JC and getting A's won't help me alot. I was in college for about 5 years... would it still help taking classes at JC? It seems to me that it won't boost my gpa up much. Also, I don't really want to waste my time..... by the way, thank you everyone for your responses! Any other options that I have?

It will help for getting in to masters programs because many of the programs calculate a GPA for the last 60 units. So that should help quite a bit... I was actually in the same exact boat as you last year... In your situation you need a masters program because with an abundance of units it starts to become very difficult to raise your GPA..... Get started early on the applying to these programs as they are rolling.... Goodluck

i think i read some negative comments on another post. something along the lines of, it's only related to ucberkeley in name only.

instead i've heard sfsu has a pretty good postbacc program. i'd check them out first instead of berkeley extension.