Post Bacc programs for Disadvantaged students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non urm but financialy and educationally disadvantaged. do yall know of any programs that are realy good. I have looked at the aamc.org website just wondering if there were others...

Members don't see this ad.

You can check out the UCSF and UC Davis programs. They are 1 year post-baccs and geared towards disadvantaged applicants.

I did and you have to be a California resident to even apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
dude, you're going to have to go into debt. there's no way around it. i'm in your boat too. just take out the loans and get it over with. your doctor salary in 10-12 years will be enough to cover your loans. go to a state school for your pre-recs. or work at the school that you're taking classes at and that way you'll get a discount. i have no money, and i am in big time debt from undergrad, but what the hell. it's just money, and i figure at the least i'll just write a monthly check to the loan mofos for the next 50 years of my life, but we'll have the last laugh, because we'll love our jobs. and live happily ever after. i'm beginning to realize that this post bacc thing is just a blip in the grand scheme of what will amount to the next forty years of my career, assuming i retire at 65. :oops:

i also think you have to have applied to med school already for this program, like a re-applicant program..at least that was the case at uci, ucla

There are a ton of post-bacc or summer fellowship programs for disadvantaged students (at least when I was in college several yrs ago). There should be a list on AAMC, but you can also check out sites for Student National Medical Association, schools themselves, or google. Be sure to talk to your premed advisor if you have one as well. I see that you're from Texas-- the UT system is sure to have programs for this. I know someone who did a summer fellowship for premeds at Texas A and M too.

Academic Medicine is a journal of the AAMC and you can look at pubmed for published studies done at different recruitment/post-bacc programs. It may give you some more information.

Good luck

There is also one in Nebraska at Crieghton. Most programs for underprivilged students look at the criteria set forth by the Department of Health and Human Services. Which states you must be from at least ONE of the following groups 1) ethnic group that is underrepresented in medicine. 2) From a economically disadvantaged background. 3) From a socially disadvantaged background

Bubba,
Try this web-site:

http://hpap.syr.edu/LISTPB.HTM

To my knowledge most of the ones for URM'S also have being economically disadantaged as a qualification. I know the one at Crieighton in Nebraska does (not listed on the web page I gave you). When I was looking for post-bacc's, basically I did search on the net and just called up and talked to the different schools, I explained my situation and asked if I would be a good candidate. Some told me yes some told me no. So just call some of the schools on the list and see what's up. What part of TX are U from. I went to high school in Dallas.