post bacc programs for pre-dental students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobucks!

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year at OSU earning my B.S. in biology. My overall g.p.a. is 2.97 and my sci. g.p.a. thus far is 2.67 :thumbdown: . I'm taking kaplan this spring to study for the DAT. I am also doing research in an oral biology lab at the OSU college of dentistry. My grades have an upward trend and I know I still have time to bring them up but I don't think it will be enough. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the best post bacc programs for predental students were? I know there are a bunch of pre-med post bacc programs that require the MCAT or GRE.... My advisor said some schools accept DAT scores in place of MCAT scores if you ask them to.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you figured out what your GPA will be if you pull a 4.0 this semester and your senior year. My guess is that you can probably get your GPA's up to the 3.2-3.3 range, in which case you may not need to do post-bacc work (assuming a DAT in the 20's). As for the programs.....I don't have a clue what you are talking about. I've heard people talking of pre-dental postbacc programs but nothing specific. I'm a graduate and have returned to take as many classes as possible (all science) and complete any prereqs for a masters.

Have you spoken to an advisor at your school about this? They would know since I suspect it depends which school you attend as far as what kinds of programs they offer.

I just relized that I said a bunch of nothing. Consider my ramblings a bump :laugh: .....I wanna tag along for this post.

geckel said:
Have you figured out what your GPA will be if you pull a 4.0 this semester and your senior year. My guess is that you can probably get your GPA's up to the 3.2-3.3 range, in which case you may not need to do post-bacc work (assuming a DAT in the 20's). As for the programs.....I don't have a clue what you are talking about. I've heard people talking of pre-dental postbacc programs but nothing specific. I'm a graduate and have returned to take as many classes as possible (all science) and complete any prereqs for a masters.

Have you spoken to an advisor at your school about this? They would know since I suspect it depends which school you attend as far as what kinds of programs they offer.

I just relized that I said a bunch of nothing. Consider my ramblings a bump :laugh: .....I wanna tag along for this post.

I asked my advisor and he said he wasn't sure... I have been looking around online and the only post bacc pre-dental programs I can find are for underpriv. students or minorities... both of which i am not...I am hoping to get my g.p.a. up to at least a 3.15 by the end of this year and who knows by the end of senior year!

I had a HORRIBLE g.p.a. freshman/begining of sophomore year. It keeps increasing but my classes will keep getting harder (mol gen, biochem, etc) I have already taken O-chem which is a huge relief. Since the start of my upward g.p.a. trend I have gotten all A's and B's in my science classes I hope they will consider the trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
gobucks! said:
I am a 3rd year at OSU earning my B.S. in biology. My overall g.p.a. is 2.97 and my sci. g.p.a. thus far is 2.67 :thumbdown: . I'm taking kaplan this spring to study for the DAT. I am also doing research in an oral biology lab at the OSU college of dentistry. My grades have an upward trend and I know I still have time to bring them up but I don't think it will be enough. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the best post bacc programs for predental students were? I know there are a bunch of pre-med post bacc programs that require the MCAT or GRE.... My advisor said some schools accept DAT scores in place of MCAT scores if you ask them to.

hey here is a pretty good link of post-bac programs.

http://hpap.syr.edu/LISTPB.HTM

There are two post-bacc dental programs:
UCSF & Creighton University. Creighton has a guarantee attach if u meet certain requirements. They are both dental post-bacc programs.

leolid said:
There are two post-bacc dental programs:
UCSF & Creighton University. Creighton has a guarantee attach if u meet certain requirements. They are both dental post-bacc programs.

Thanks to Everyone for listing programs... The only problem is most of the programs for pre-dental post bacc are geared towards underpriviledged individuals or minorities... :(