Post-bacc programs for pre-dental students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misterpak

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, how is everyone doing? Good I hope. I posted this exact thread in the Postbaccalaureate Programs forum as well. I Wanted to introduce myself and my current situation/dilemma before asking some questions. I am currently attending a community college (started attending this past fall), taking science courses in order to fulfill prerequisites for dental school. I graduated from UCLA with a BA in Psychology and a minor in Asian American Studies. My GPA was 2.68 . I've been searching through the Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum as well as the Pre-dental Forum but cannot find any information regarding post-bacc programs dedicated towards pre-dental students. I want to take courses at a university to show that I can hack it out. So far I've researched and found that many of the programs are for pre-med students and for those applicants who have not been accepted to programs. I have some specific questions to ask: Are there any post-bacc programs in Southern California specifically targetted towards pre-dental students that have no science background? What is the application process like for these post-bacc programs (when can I apply for a program)? Sorry for the essay. Any information or opinions on my situation would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar situation,

I'm a UW graduate who's now taking science courses at a community college. From what I understand, as long as you have a degree at a university, it doesn't mean a whole lot where you take your science courses, as long as you do well. I do plan on transferring to the university as a post bach to take biochem, but will not do their postbach programs.

jlway777 said:
I'm in a similar situation,

I'm a UW graduate who's now taking science courses at a community college. From what I understand, as long as you have a degree at a university, it doesn't mean a whole lot where you take your science courses, as long as you do well. I do plan on transferring to the university as a post bach to take biochem, but will not do their postbach programs.

I'm doing a post-bacc as well and the schools I'm looking at told me abosultely no on community college. I would check with schools you are looking into and see what they say. It would suck f you put in all that work and then got shot done because of where you did your post bacc. Good luck!!!
Scott

Members don't see this ad :)
scottyhoop said:
I'm doing a post-bacc as well and the schools I'm looking at told me abosultely no on community college. I would check with schools you are looking into and see what they say. It would suck f you put in all that work and then got shot done because of where you did your post bacc. Good luck!!!
Scott

My school also told me NO, NO, NO community college courses. They're not stupid. They know people go there for the "easy A" to beef up their GPA.

What school told you no community college?
Speaking with UW advisor, I was told that they do not discriminate community colleges.

jlway777 said:
What school told you no community college?
Speaking with UW advisor, I was told that they do not discriminate community colleges.

VCU and Howard both told me no comm. college. I've never been to a comm. college but evidently some people think it's much easier. Not sure if that's the case, but it sure is the prevailing opinion these days!!
Scott

I don't know anything about southern California but I am in the same situation as you. I have had a lot of schools tell me that graduate programs are an excellent way to boost your application. I have been accepted to a few public health programs but my choice is a masters in Oral Biology. It is taught at the Univeristy of Louisville and it is taught by the Dental school. I am still waiting to hear back and should know in a couple of weeks if I am accepted or not. I know that there is one at the University of San Francisco. The only concern is that they generally will not take lower than a 2.75 GPA.
Good Luck.

Thanks a lot guys for the help. I appreciate it. I guess I need to communicate more with the schools I really want to attend and figure out what exactly they want. Thanks :thumbup: