Post-bacc Programs in general

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TTSD

Sexually Deprived
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know very little about post-bacc programs so I was wondering if you guys could help answer a few questions?

Doing some research most post-bacc programs I found seem to be usually for non-science majors wishing to take a crack at medicine? Is this true? The few people that I do know who took a post-bacc program were offered it when they applied to med school (one was a CS major the other was engineering).

The post-bacc curriculum seems to cover a lot of the classes I've taken and in the courseload I've taken them. Like systems neuro, phys, cancer, virology, microbiology, phys. of neuro, etc etc. So what would post-bacc programs do then? Essentially make me take those classes over again and would the Admissions Committee see which ones were taken as a post-bacc versus undergrad or will they just be seeing double?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your assumption is generally correct. The bulk of post-bacc programs are meant to provide non-science majors with the pre-reqs and/or upper level science courses to prove that they can handle the science requirements of med school. If you already have most of these courses, retaking them will likely not do you much good unless you bombed them the first time and are trying to bring up the grades or the pre-reqs have aged beyond the requirements for the med schools you are looking at. There are a few master's programs geared towards pre-meds that you might be interested in. Here is a link on the AAMC web site where you can search for those programs.

http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

Originally posted by arciedee
I think your assumption is generally correct. The bulk of post-bacc programs are meant to provide non-science majors with the pre-reqs and/or upper level science courses to prove that they can handle the science requirements of med school. If you already have most of these courses, retaking them will likely not do you much good unless you bombed them the first time and are trying to bring up the grades or the pre-reqs have aged beyond the requirements for the med schools you are looking at. There are a few master's programs geared towards pre-meds that you might be interested in. Here is a link on the AAMC web site where you can search for those programs.

http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by TTSD
I know very little about post-bacc programs so I was wondering if you guys could help answer a few questions?

Doing some research most post-bacc programs I found seem to be usually for non-science majors wishing to take a crack at medicine? Is this true? The few people that I do know who took a post-bacc program were offered it when they applied to med school (one was a CS major the other was engineering).

The post-bacc curriculum seems to cover a lot of the classes I've taken and in the courseload I've taken them. Like systems neuro, phys, cancer, virology, microbiology, phys. of neuro, etc etc. So what would post-bacc programs do then? Essentially make me take those classes over again and would the Admissions Committee see which ones were taken as a post-bacc versus undergrad or will they just be seeing double?

Thanks.

After doing a bit of research on post-bacc, it appears there are three different candidates. The first is the one you mention, who is looking to build a science foundation. The second is the one who needs to build up the GPA before applying. The third is referred to at all the schools I looked at us an "underprivelaged" or a "disadvantaged" student. Whatever that means...

Are you thinking of doing such a prog?

Yes, I need to rebuild my GPA. My advanced classes are fine and dandy if one takes in courseload and EC's.. but my lower divisions.. those goddamn premed reqs.. the classes that I should've done the best in.. are the ones that are raping my undergraduate GPA.

I got a BS in engineering w/o taking any classes towards premed. Although engineering curriculum are filled w/ physics, I only had one semester of chemistry and no biology.

I'm pondering changing career. I was hoping to just get ahold of textbooks for knowledge required for the MCAT and sending in an application for med school.

Will I get rejected for not having prerequisites?

nasa_dude,

To apply to most US allopathic or osteopathic medical schools you will need to have completed:

1 year of biology w/ lab
1 year of inorganic or general chemistry w/ lab
1 year of organic chemistry w/ lab
1 year of physics w/lab
1 year of english
maybe 1 year of calculus

The english and calculus requirements are variable depending on schools, you should check with course requirements of the medical school you are interested in. Based on what you said, I would suggest taking those classes that you lack as post-bacc at any college near you. If you want a structured program, which can get expensive, you should check out formal premedical programs like this one at Columbia, http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gs/postbacc/.

also check out this site http://hpap.syr.edu/listpb.htm

Originally posted by TTSD

Thanks.

The thing is HOW did you take those classes already? Most undergraduate biology programs don't even include those courses. Most bio majors haven't even taken those classes yet?

The pre-reqs kill everyone. You aren't the only one. Most of us were really young when we took them so immaturity could have played a factor. And let's be honest, the pre-req's were the biggest weed out courses since they were filled with so many students. Don't be too hard on yourself.

I would get a Masters being that your undergrad already included medical school type of classes.

What are some good post-bac masters programs for someone coming from an ivy league school with a bio major?

Pixie said:
What are some good post-bac masters programs for someone coming from an ivy league school with a bio major?

Maybe look into the Georgetown program. It seems to be well-known.

I think in your situation, where you have already exhausted all the basic undergraduate classes you could possibly take, you should concentrate on getting into a Masters program in Biochem or Microbiology, et. Ideally, you would want to get into a 'Special' Masters program, which is basically the first year of medical school. You take the same classes as the first year med school class (except, typically, gross anatomy) and get a masters degree out of it. But in order to get into these programs you practically need to have a med school application ready--complete with 3 LOR's, some extracurricular/volunteer experience, and MCAT scores. They are typically intended for either low gpa/high mcat applicants OR high gpa/low gpa applicants. So if you have both a low gpa and a low mcat score, you'll probably have a hard time getting in even an SMP.

Pixie said:

The only way you could get into an undergrad post-bacc program is if you havent already taken Biochem, Immuno, Viro, Physio, Anatomy, et. Again, you should probably look into Masters programs or graduate level post-bacc programs. I believe VCU in Richmond and Loyola-Chicago have masters level programs specifically intended for post-bacc type students.

hi everybody
I graduated in may 2004 from UCberkeley with BA in molecular and cell biology (emphasis in biochemistry) but with an overall gpa of about 3.1. i have taken mcat once but got only 25O. with not such a great gpa and mcat score i couldn't risk applying to med. schools this school. i am willing to take couple years off to make my application more compeititive. so i was wondering if somebody could advice me on if i should go for masters or post bacch program (especially the ones geared towards GPA enhancing)? do you know if there are linkage post bach programs who can accept me with that kind of gpa? any kind of help will be appreciated.

navincal

Hi all,

I am in a similar situation as navincal. I have a 3.3 overal gpa and 3.0 science gpa. My April MCAT was a disappointing 24. I retook it this August and am awaiting for the score.

I am aware that there's a very slim chance that I can get accepted to any school unless I bring up my MCAT and GPA. What post-bacc programs would you recommend?

Thanks.

You should look at the Special Science Program at UPenn. It is really flexible, so you can choose from a variety of upper-level electives that will improve your science GPA and demonstrate your ability to do well in the type of classes you would take in med school. You can also take a combo of pre-reqs and upper level electives.

Obviously, it would be nice to have a Master's degree, which this program will not give me. The advantages that made me choose this route were:
1. Cost: around $1200 / class
2. Flexibility
3. Focus on getting into med school, which is the real reason you're there, as opposed to getting another degree. This program is over when you get into med school, which means that different people take a different number of classes.

I will soon have a BA(graphic/web design) on Dec 2004 and i was thinking doing my Post Bac at a community college or az state university. i was told that i can do my post bac in one yr but an advisor told me that it will take me 2yrs, i don't know why.

i will be taking the following for the summer 2005(maybe i should start taking some classes for next semester,Jan 2005 instead of what for the summer of 2005):

summer session 1: general chm 1 w lab
sumer session 2 : general chm 2 w lab
fall: bio 1 w lab
physics 1 w lab
organic chm 1 w lab
spring: bio 2 w lab
organic 2 w lab

and either one calcus, statistic, biochemistry, genetics or cell/molecular class
is there any thing missing here??

i know that i would need to take the MCAT and get 2 letters of recommendtion(one from advisor and the other from a D.O).

to get this 2 letter i would need to volunteer somewhere(at a clinic or hospital?). the advisor told me that its better to work and get human contact but he didn't tell me what type of position would i need(back office asst., front or something? i am clueless).

i asked the advior how many hours would i need but there seems to be no answer to this question.

So do i really need to work or volunteer in this area or is this optional. it seems obvious to work, but what type of job can i do there with my BA degree?

also another question, since i am not seeking a degree (doing post bac)then i can't apply for finiacial aid, right?

happy20003:

When are you planning on taking the MCAT? because you should write that in the schedule along with the other courses so it is included in your planning. What are you planning to do in the Spring semester immediately following graduation? It would seem to me like a good idea to take at least one class during that time to get things rolling. If you were planning on taking the April MCAT I would be concerned taking 2 heavy lab sciences while prepping. So shift things around a bit and see what happens. Starting early would also give you more time to find volunteer work. (Basically there is no upper-limit on quality volunteer hours... the more the better)

I took 2 years out after graduation to complete my pre-req's just as you are planning to do so feel free to ask any questions.

Hey y'all,

I'm debating on whether or not I should take a post-bac myself.

I'm a physed student, who's in the final year of the program. afterwards, i need to complete the following pre-reqs:

1 year English
1 year physics
1 year math
1 semester orgo
1 semester general chem.

So, what should I do? Do I enroll as a non-degree student at a University? Do I do it at a community college? Or should I gun for a post-bac?

I appreciate your help.

pem8erly:

the MCAT maybe in April. yes i am thinking the same thing as you are, i want to take at least one class to get things rolling. you say that i should take 2 heavy lab scienses before i take the MCAT, is that bio or chm class(not sure which one).

so what i see here is that there is not upper limit on the quality of volunteer or work hours like the pre-veterinary. what type of position should i volunteer or work at,any perference? back office,front or what?

i been told that you can do the pre-reqs in one year while other people say 2, is there any way to do it in 1yr?

i will be doing the post bac at a community college or asu, but i know that i won't be able to get finicial aid because i am not seeking a degree, so how do i pay it, should i just take a loan from somewhere.

Happy20003

I noticed you posted on another thread but I'm going to answer the question here... regarding the glide year. Because you're finishing school in December and starting your pre-req's in Jan it would seem unlikely you would avoid the glide year of applying, interviewing and getting in. You would need to apply in June of 2005 to matriculate in 2006 but since you will not take the MCAT until 2006 that would not be possible.

So basically you're looking at the earliest timeline of applying in 2006 no matter how you re-arrange the classes. This will give you time to volunteer long enough to show that you enjoyed volunteering and did not just look for something to put on your app. Plus you could get a nice LOR out of it! (always important)

I would write down a couple different versions of schedules and see what looks most appealing for you.

Have you looked into structured programs? Even if you simply look at their schedules it might help you plan.

One question: you only have 1 physic class listed. There are some schools that require 8 sem. hrs. I would check the schools you are interested in to make sure you will meet all the requirements.

As for volunteering, I would go for something with patient contact and opportunity to watch physician & pt interactions. Most hospitals have a volunteer office that always welcomes new people. A lot of students also choose to get certified as an EMT if the local agency is volunteer staffed.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

I think some confusion comes from "post-bacc" program most commonly being used for programs geared to college grads offering undergrad pre-reqs, as well linkage programs, guidance, etc.
The term "post-bacc" is also, however, sometimes used for graduate programs, specificly ones like Georgetown' Special Masters in Physio. These programs are designed for college grads who are nearly qualified for Med school, but may need some app "enhancement". They offer med school/ grad level courses. Depending on the program, a high percentage of enrollees get into Med School.