post bacc? retake mcat? need advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littleme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ahhh so i am stressed and frustrated. I really need advice. any advice will be greatly appreciated.
I

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA is fine; you don't need a postbacc unless you haven't completed all of the med school prereqs. In which case, it was foolish to take the MCAT without taking the prereqs; they're called prereqs and not postreqs for a reason. But if you've taken all the prereqs, forget the postbacc and either focus on the MCAT or go for your NP degree. The latter will be quicker and easier, and may be the better choice depending on what you hope to do when you finish.

I will tell you that if I were an RN wanting further training, I'd go back to school to become a CRNA, especially if I were female and looking to have a family. Great lifestyle, great pay, way fewer years of training, way fewer loans, job flexibility, plenty of demand.

Reactions: 1 user
ahhh so i am stressed and frustrated. I really need advice. any advice will be greatly appreciated.
I posted on here before. I am 22 years old.
BS in Biology at age 19 GPA 3.67
Accelerated BS in Nursing at age 20 GPA 3.32
Been working as a Registered Nurse for about 2 years.
took mcat twice ...both times 22.
still applied to med school...(very bad idea, i know)
didn't get accepted to any.
got accepted to upenn's post bacc and johns hopkins post bacc.
not sure exactly what to do next....
should I go the post bacc route? if so which one? upenn or johns hopkins?
should I skip the post bacc and just study real hard for the mcat?
or should I just go the nurse practitioner route? lol
any advice is highly welcomed.
btw i dont mind the cost of the post bacc
thanks people.
I'm confused. I am under the belief that John's Hopkins only has a post-bac premedical program. As in, you take the medical school prereqs (it isn't an SMP). If you were accepted to this program, then that means you haven't taken any or many premedical prereqs. But... at the same time, you took the MCAT? Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I think I confused u guys a little. I have taken all my prereqs. I had really good grades too. Johns hopkins does have a post bacc program but I got accepted to the health science intensive program for those with a science background. It's fairly new too. Thanks again for your replies

Your problem is the MCAT. You are not going to convince anyone by doing more of the same stuff you do well. Time to look into LUCOM or podiatry or, if you dare, Caribbean.

But if you've taken all the prereqs, forget the postbacc and either focus on the MCAT or go for your NP degree. The latter will be quicker and easier, and may be the better choice depending on what you hope to do when you finish.

I will tell you that if I were an RN wanting further training, I'd go back to school to become a CRNA, especially if I were female and looking to have a family. Great lifestyle, great pay, way fewer years of training, way fewer loans, job flexibility, plenty of demand.

This, here.

Sorry I think I confused u guys a little. I have taken all my prereqs. I had really good grades too. Johns hopkins does have a post bacc program but I got accepted to the health science intensive program for those with a science background. It's fairly new too. Thanks again for your replies

You don't need more classes, you either need to do a serious content review and hit all your weak spots in your pre-req knowledge and then practice, practice, practice MCAT, or go the advanced nursing route.