Smittyballz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
I Am Going To Start Taking Classes This Summer Before I Enter An Official Cert Program In The Fall. I Was Wondering If There Is A Particular Order That Will Help Me Prepare The Best For The Mcats And Medschool. I Have Not Taken Any Prereques Yet So I Can Start With Any Course. I Have Taken Some Biology Courses But They Were At A Community College So Im Going To Take Them Again.. Any Suggestions???? Also As Far As Post Bacc Cert Programs Can Someone Rank These Schools As The Best To Worst... Boston University, Harvard, Brandeis, Umass Boston, Tufts... :) :)

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
MA
Status
Medical Student
Smittyballz said:
I Am Going To Start Taking Classes This Summer Before I Enter An Official Cert Program In The Fall. I Was Wondering If There Is A Particular Order That Will Help Me Prepare The Best For The Mcats And Medschool. I Have Not Taken Any Prereques Yet So I Can Start With Any Course. I Have Taken Some Biology Courses But They Were At A Community College So Im Going To Take Them Again.. Any Suggestions???? Also As Far As Post Bacc Cert Programs Can Someone Rank These Schools As The Best To Worst... Boston University, Harvard, Brandeis, Umass Boston, Tufts... :) :)
Since You Chose To Capitalize Every Word, I Think You Should Start With English Or Writing Classes As Most Schools Require Them Before Preparing For The MCAT...j/k

Ususally people start with physics/chemistry then ochem/bio. If you're trying to finish your pre-reqs in one year's time vs. two years usually people take chem I&II over the summer and then bio/ochem/physics in one year. I would definately not recommend taking ochem before regular chem, or bio before chemisty.

(but look into english classes, serioulsy, they are a requirement for some schools).

:luck:

OP
S

Smittyballz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
:confused: :confused: Maybe you should look into reading 101. Thanks for ranking the programs. Why is it that almost everyone on this website finds it neccessary to make fun of other peoples posts. I think its time to grow up, and stop picking on others to make yourself feel better. :cool:

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
MA
Status
Medical Student
sunnyjohn said:
Sundarban1,

Why bio before chemistry?

I said I would not take bio before chemistry, meaning you should take chemistry first. Most in depth bio courses teach molecular biology as part of the offering. I found it helpful to take chemistry first, learnig the basics of molecules, making bio a lot easier, in my opinion.

sunnyjohn

Got Mustard?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
In a world all my own.
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Sundarban1 said:
I said I would not take bio before chemistry, meaning you should take chemistry first. Most in depth bio courses teach molecular biology as part of the offering. I found it helpful to take chemistry first, learnig the basics of molecules, making bio a lot easier, in my opinion.
Oops.. WHY NOT bio before chem?

Thanks for the answer...

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Smittyballz said:
:confused: :confused: Maybe you should look into reading 101. Thanks for ranking the programs. Why is it that almost everyone on this website finds it neccessary to make fun of other peoples posts. I think its time to grow up, and stop picking on others to make yourself feel better. :cool:
Ok, I'll take a stab at ranking. Assuming you are talking about pure post-bac programs (and not the Masters program I believe is also offered via BU), I would personally rank them this way (1 being the best):
(1) Tufts - the most hands-on postbac program in the Boston area. The director will try and market you to med schools, and I believe there is some level of linkage with Tufts med (meaning if you do well there they grant you an interview). The closest to the Bryn Mawr model you will find in Boston.
(2) Harvard Extension -- very hands-off approach, but if you finish the prereqs with all B's and a 30 on the MCAT, they write you a nice sponsorship letter. Advisors are very accessible, but you could drop off the face of the earth and stop attending classes and they wouldn't seek you out. Very cheap, and grads seem to do quite well in the application process.
(3) BU - The masters program at BU is reportedly quite good, but as a pure postbac program, I'm not sure how it is. Didn't seem as organized or promoted as Tufts or Harvard. Haven't heard strong opinions either way.
(4) Brandeis - They have a very informal program. Classes are taken with the undergrads. Simply not enough structure for my tastes.
(5) UMass - Seemed to suffer from lack of structure as well, and not as prestigious/academically recognized as the others.
Those are my own ill-informed opinions. Others please feel free to correct them.