Post Bacc Schools (Texas)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indigo47

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm two years out of college now and am planning to go to school for my pre-reqs. I'm looking for some guidance/opinions on what school to go to. I'll explain my situation below:

I started my undergrad at Texas State, but did horrible (ended up with GPA of 1.89). I was a stupid kid who thought he was better than the system. I left school for about a year, worked construction, and then went to UT-Tyler. I finished my bachelors degree at UT-Tyler with a cumulative GPA of 3.66. Now, I'd like to go back to school for my pre-reqs. Right now, I live and work in San Marcos.

I want to go to a school where I can genuinely learn the material and show that I am capable of rigorous courses. Would it be a smart idea to move? Or would it be better to stay in San Marcos? I am afraid that going back to Texas State after doing poorly there would look bad on my applications.

Here is a quick pros/cons list I put together:
-Texas State pros: familiar with the area, cheap COL, cheap tuition, close to friends
-Texas State cons: I did poorly a few years ago, bad reputation (?)

-UT pros: very good reputation, 3 hospitals nearby, in austin
-UT cons: very difficult to be accepted as a second degree student, high COL

-A&M pros: very good reputation, close to all major cities
-A&M cons: very difficult to be accepted as a second degree student, college station

-UTD pros: highly rated academic programs, lots of nearby hospitals, have heard they have a great pre-med program
-UTD cons: high COL, totally new territory for me, far from those I know

-Southwestern pros: offered a scholarship (still the most expensive option by a large margin), small school, good pre-med program
-Southwestern cons: expensive, unknown COL, expensive

-UH pros: solid reputation, lots of nearby hospitals
-UH cons: sketchy location, not familiar with the city

-UNT pros: cheap, have heard good things about the school, cheap COL
-UNT cons: not familiar with the area, very far from friends

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

UTA has an extension now. Not much info on it to date but only good things so far. I believe they offer all the premed courses you need.

Courses are about 600 per, open enrollment.

I've heard great things about UT-Austin's extension courses. This would be a great option however, they have no information on what courses will be offered next fall. The courses offered in spring 2017 seem to be limited to the second part of many courses (ie. chemistry II, phsyics II).

I think any of the state schools will give you a great education, but it will dependent on how self-motivated you are as a learner in order to do well. I say you stay local at Texas State, unless there're no opportunities to shadow/volunteer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think any of the state schools will give you a great education, but it will dependent on how self-motivated you are as a learner in order to do well. I say you stay local at Texas State, unless there're no opportunities to shadow/volunteer.

You don't think that going back to a school that I initially did poorly at would look bad on applications? I'm just not sure how it would look in the hands of the ADCOMS.

There are opportunities near Texas State for shadowing and volunteering -- inside the town and the neighboring cities.

In the grand scheme of things, it matters very little. What is going to matter are your life experiences, GPA, and MCAT, but you already knew this. There was pdf on the AAMC website that had a table ranking different criterias that the adcoms look for. I *think* undergrad institution was somewhere in the middle to low end while clinical experiences and leadership were at the top of the list for the non-cognitive section.