post bacc timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nrddct

carlover
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda confused on the scheduling. Assuming I finish my post bacc in a yr. I will take my MCATs again next april and apply to med school again next summer. This will leave me with a glide yr where I'll be interviewing next fall? Is this how everyelse is planning it?

Members don't see this ad.

The glide year is pretty much an inevitable part of the post bacc system.. unless you get in via your post bacc's linkage program.

Actually I'm applying right now and entering a post-bacc program next fall, I really just don't want to take a glide year, i feel like i've been waiting an eternity to get into medical school (but i'm only 21, so everything may seem like an eternity). Of course, many people have been successful in getting into medical school while juggling interviews and post-bacc, but I'm assuming it will be quite stressful; but if you are persistent and resilient you can always do better and eventually get into medical school. Good Luck!
P.S. The downside of applying now instead of waiting a year is that I don't have any grades to show the schools yet. So I probably won't be reviewed until January, but you still have to submit early!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm confused with the timeline as well. I have to take Chem 1/2, Bio 1/2 and OChem 1/2. If I take Chem 1/2 this summer, take Bio1/2 and Ochem 1/2 in the Fall/Spring and take the MCATs April 2005 (Spring)...

1.)When do I start applying for medical school?
2.)What will be my expected matriculation date? Fall 2005 or Fall 2006?

Also, would you suggest taking Chem 1/2 in the Summer or Fall/Spring? Thanks!

starkid said:
i'm confused with the timeline as well. I have to take Chem 1/2, Bio 1/2 and OChem 1/2. If I take Chem 1/2 this summer, take Bio1/2 and Ochem 1/2 in the Fall/Spring and take the MCATs April 2005 (Spring)...

you will apply next summer for fall 2006

starkid said:

I did Chem 1/2 in the summer. I'll tell you what I saw as the pluses and minuses of it.

Positive:
- it saved me a lot of time since I started O-Chem in the fall and was done with all the chem classes in one calendar year
- I thought Chem 1 was pretty basic so it was good to get it done quickly
- it's less work overall in the summer because it is not as detailed a class

Negative
- the lack of detail can also be a negative since you learn less
- I felt weak on the stuff from Chem 2 when studying for the MCAT
- it's a lot to cram into 8 weeks in the summer, espeically the long days in the lab

Pretty much, like any other class, it will come down to the quality of teaching. Mine was mediocre at best so that may have made it more difficult for me to recall the stuff when it came time for the MCAT.

Ginkoba4 said:
Actually I'm applying right now and entering a post-bacc program next fall, I really just don't want to take a glide year, i feel like i've been waiting an eternity to get into medical school (but i'm only 21, so everything may seem like an eternity). Of course, many people have been successful in getting into medical school while juggling interviews and post-bacc, but I'm assuming it will be quite stressful; but if you are persistent and resilient you can always do better and eventually get into medical school. Good Luck!
P.S. The downside of applying now instead of waiting a year is that I don't have any grades to show the schools yet. So I probably won't be reviewed until January, but you still have to submit early!

I have a question..if you're applying and doing post-bacc? Do your post-bacc grades help your application in anyway? I'm confused.

wannabedoc34 said:
I have a question..if you're applying and doing post-bacc? Do your post-bacc grades help your application in anyway? I'm confused.

I am doing this. The post bacc grades won't help unless you interview after fall grades are posted. For me, I decided to do it for 2 reasons.
1. I will be well prepared for MS1 since I was not a science major in undergrad.
2. If, for some reason, I do not get in through the regular cycle, I will have my post bacc to fall back on so I know I will get accepted later if not sooner.

starkid said:

Since you only have to take these three classes, take Chem in the summer. If you take Chem during the year, you'd have to take O-Chem during the following summer, if you want to finish these in a calendar year. From all the friends I know who have taken O-Chem over the summer, it's pure hell. General Chem is much easier to take over the shorter time frame.

Well, my postbacc at TCOM is one yr and from talking to admissions, they said that I would be guaranteed a interview if I got a 3.5 or above.

I heard from a fellow member that you should apply now and say in your apps that you want more clinical experience by going to post bacc this fall. That way if you get in Med school, then you avoid gliding.

What kinda job and how much $$ do you make with a post bacc certificate?

nrddct said:
What kinda job and how much $$ do you make with a post bacc certificate?

hahahaha this made me laugh