Post Bacc tuition rates

Started by esafille
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

esafille

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious... are there any relatively inexpensive post bacc progs out there? The one I'm planning to do runs in the $23,000 range. Thanks!
 
DIY programs at state-schools are probably the cheapest option.

UPenn is $2,500 (roughly) a class
 
How about formal post bacc programs, though? For example, are there any public schools that offer substantially cheaper programs? (In my case, the State of Florida)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Uh.... UPenn is a formal program and is about $20-22k a year....

And I mentioned state schools as being cheaper and DIY.

Not many state schools have formal post-bac programs. Some do, but there isnt an awful lot written about them here.
 
Wow, I didn't realize Penn's program was that inexpensive. I miscalculated the tuition off your initial $2500 post. I figured it would be somewhere in the 30-40000 range (what I paid as an undergrad in the College). Thanks!👍
 
Well the LECOM post bacc is 12K from what my friend tells me, including board, food, etc. probably upward to 18K but that might be cheaper than what you're looking at.
 
curriculum looks roughly like this off of their website

September-December
Course Topic​
Credit Hours Class Hours
Cell Biology​
2 24
Biochemistry​
3 36
Physiology​
4 48
Histology​
1 12
Genetics​
1 12
Microbiology​
2 24
Medical Terminology​
2 24 Total
15


January-April
Course Topic​
Credit Hours Class Hours
Anatomy​
5 60
Immunology​
1 12
Virology​
1 12
Pathology​
4
40
Pharmacology & Toxicology​
3
24
Intro to Medicine​
1 12 Total
15
 
Does LECOM offer a career-change option, though? My initial glance at the site left me with the impression that it's a gpa booster (and I haven't taken the MCAT yet)
 
I realized something about Penn after my interview--it's $2500 per class but they only give you the committee letter if you've done 12 CU's. $2500 is for one CU I believe, so 2500 x 12= $30,000. And that's before books and probably other fees.

Am I correct? This is part of the reason I'm not going there.

Oh also many of their linkages require completion in 1 year but 12 CU's doesn't look very possible to do in 1 year. Plus when I asked about linkages my interviewer was basically like "WHAT?? Linking is SO RARE!" and didn't know anything about it that wasn't on the site. Whereas the Goucher lady was sort of like "you can link if you want but after we discuss it and you visit the schools you may well decide you don't want to." and was very well informed.

Harvard is about $1000 per class, which is a steal. But I'm going to go to my state school if I don't get in to Goucher.
 
Re: Penn linkage... yea some of them need to be done in one year, but there are several others that you can link to if the program stretches out over a year and a summer, or two years, whatever. Just to clarify that. Check the UPenn post bacc forum for the link listing which schools require what - it's a page or two back.