Post Bacc vs DIY based on my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guitardude1997

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am 22 years old and I recently graduated from college with an undergraduate degree in Medical Laboratory Science. I loved the program I went through and I love that I will be working as a soon to be ASCP certified medical laboratory scientist at a hospital in the Greater Boston area. Although while progressing through the program I started thinking about eventually furthering my education an applying to Medical school (MD or DO). Although I am not sure where to start and how I should go about this. during my undergrad the MLS curriculum included a lot of interesting science courses (Mycology, Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Bacteriology, Immunology Blood banking, etc.) along with multiple rotations, the only problem is these courses were offered through the college of health science and not from the college of sciences so I don't think my classes will count as as prerequisites. I also did very well in my classes (due to the fact I still need to pass the ASCP exam to work in the lab) with a cumulative GPA of a 3.89 and science GPA of 3.9. Lastly I have taken physics 1 with lab, human biochemistry, and introduction to statistics.

With this in mind my questions are:

1) does it matter where I fulfill my prerequisites? I am debating between taking the classes at either Harvard extension school, or a local state school. I will be working 40 hours a week 3 - 11:30 so if I were to do continuing education courses I'd have to swap shifts with coworkers, although if I took classes in the day with undergrads I wouldn't have to swap shifts but I would have to be on campus more often

2) does it matter if I forgo a formal post bacc program and do it the DIY route? I feel that I could only do 4 credits a semester if I am working 40 hours a week and I don't think formal programs would allow me to go at this pace

3) does it matter if I only do 4 credits at a time? I have heard mixed reviews about this but I feel that I have already demonstrated an ability to multitask during my undergrad juggling clinical and classes.

4) Does working in a hospital laboratory count as clinical experience? I know some lab techs do phlebotomy but since I am working second shift I won't be able to draw. Although I do some phlebotomy or EMT work per diem before I start taking classes (I took an EMT class hold an EMT license until 2022).

Thank you for reading the post and any advice!

Members don't see this ad.