Post bacc vs. masters Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future5690

Reaction score
Hello,

I am Texas resident, graduated from UT Austin and am seriously debating what to do right not during my gap year.

My cgpa is a 3.5 and sgpa 3.4 with an upward trend.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I'm wondering whether I should do a post bacc or a masters.

I heard that for a post bacc, your gpa will get accumulated onto your undergrad gpa while the masters isn't. Considering my gpa, which one do you think is better to do?

Members don't see this ad.

You have no need for either path if you focus on DO schools.

Both post-bacs and SMPs have their pluses and minuses. I lean to the latter if given at a medical school, as it's the back door in.

You have no need for either path if you focus on DO schools.

Both post-bacs and SMPs have their pluses and minuses. I lean to the latter if given at a medical school, as it's the back door in.
I am considering MD instead of DO and I just recalculated my gpa and my cgpa is 3.6 while sgpa remains the same.
I am deciding to take the MCAT first before deciding whether I should do a gpa improvement.

Is this a good plan? Would having a high mcat score, especially in the science section make me more competitive considering my gpa?

This is solely just looking at stats though.

I am considering MD instead of DO and I just recalculated my gpa and my cgpa is 3.6 while sgpa remains the same.
I am deciding to take the MCAT first before deciding whether I should do a gpa improvement.

Is this a good plan? Would having a high mcat score, especially in the science section make me more competitive considering my gpa?

This is solely just looking at stats though.
From what I understand of TX schools, the sGPA will not be remediated by a high MCAT.