Mar 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey Everyone,

I was looking into doing some kind of post bacc program. I will be a senior this year and wanted to get a gpa boost and improve my over all gpa and DAT score.

I have not taken the DAT yet and plan on taking this winter and then again at the end of the year. I also don't plan on applying to any school until the spring.

My over all question is mainly does anyone know of any post bacc or other options that do not require a DAT score and don"t require that you have applied and got denied by a school?

Thanks

May 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I have not taken the DAT yet and plan on taking this winter and then again at the end of the year. I also don't plan on applying to any school until the spring.
Why do you plan on taking the DAT twice without having taken it yet? Prepare well and plan to take it only once.

My over all question is mainly does anyone know of any post bacc or other options that do not require a DAT score and don"t require that you have applied and got denied by a school?
An informal post-bac is not like a masters program affiliated with a dental school - it doesn't require you to have done anything, at most schools you simply enroll iand take additional classes.

Reactions: sobertiger

I completely agree with FeralisExtremum. Do NOT take the DAT twice. Take it only when you are prepared, otherwise it is just a waste of time and money. Also, doing poorly on your first attempt could affect your chances of admission in the future.

About the Ads
OP
D
Mar 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Why do you plan on taking the DAT twice without having taken it yet? Prepare well and plan to take it only once.

An informal post-bac is not like a masters program affiliated with a dental school - it doesn't require you to have done anything, at most schools you simply enroll iand take additional classes.
I agree with only taking the DAT once and hopefully, I will only need to take it once that the main goal. As for the post bacc many do require you to have applied and got denied and request a DAT score.

May 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I agree with only taking the DAT once and hopefully, I will only need to take it once that the main goal. As for the post bacc many do require you to have applied and got denied and request a DAT score.
I think you're looking at a specific type of post-bac program that grants a certificate or is geared towards dentistry. You can enroll in a school and select classes post-graduation and that would also be an informal post-bac - it doesn't need to be tied into a specific program, and there's not necessarily a significant benefit to doing so. The important thing is just taking your pre-reqs and other upper level science courses in time to apply.

What programs have you been looking into?

OP
D
Mar 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
I think you're looking at a specific type of post-bac program that grants a certificate or is geared towards dentistry. You can enroll in a school and select classes post-graduation and that would also be an informal post-bac - it doesn't need to be tied into a specific program, and there's not necessarily a significant benefit to doing so. The important thing is just taking your pre-reqs and other upper level science courses in time to apply.

What programs have you been looking into?
These are the programs I was looking into
1. Ucla
Post-Baccalaureate Program | UCLA Dentistry

2. Tufts University School of Dental Medicine Post-baccalaureate Program
MS in Biomedical Sciences (MBS) | Tufts University School of Medicine Public Health and Professional Degree Programs

3. Creighton University School of Dentistry Post-baccalaureate Program
Pre-Dental Eligibility | Health Sciences

4. Loma Linda Bridge program

5.George Mason/Georgetown Advanced Biomedical Sciences Certificate Program

6. Nova (gets the nod over Tufts due to cheaper tuition and smaller class size)
Master of Biomedical Sciences Degree | College of Medical Sciences | NSU

About the Ads