Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazycooljoel

Ignore the Discouragement
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am contemplating and would like feedback if anyone has an honest opinion. I have a BA in Health Care but need the science classes. Between completing the the science classes as a post-bacc at the University of West Florida (UWF) or University of Washington (UW), is there really a big difference? The UW has a school of medicine, which will be my first choice when I apply, however, the UWF does not but has what I hear is a good science program.

The main question is:
Is there a benefit from completing the science classes at the school that has the medical school I intend on applying as a first choice?

Why the two choice?

I grew up in the Seattle area and have family there and like the UW atmosphere.

Why consider the UWF? The wife has family in that area, is a UWF alumni, and it is more affordable to pay for cost of living.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am contemplating and would like feedback if anyone has an honest opinion. I have a BA in Health Care but need the science classes. Between completing the the science classes as a post-bacc at the University of West Florida (UWF) or University of Washington (UW), is there really a big difference? The UW has a school of medicine, which will be my first choice when I apply, however, the UWF does not but has what I hear is a good science program.

The main question is:
Is there a benefit from completing the science classes at the school that has the medical school I intend on applying as a first choice?

Why the two choice?

I grew up in the Seattle area and have family there and like the UW atmosphere.

Why consider the UWF? The wife has family in that area, is a UWF alumni, and it is more affordable to pay for cost of living.
Take your prerequisites where you can excel in a rigorous academic climate that will prepare you well for the MCAT, and give you opportunities for research, clinical experience, physician shadowing, and nonmedical community service.

More important to getting into UW than where you take your coursework, is establishing residency in Washington, as their med school takes few OOS applicants. OTOH, many Florida med schools OOS friendly. There are also far more med schools in Florida, when one is considering that in-state tuition would be convenient to qualify for.

More important to getting into UW than where you take your coursework, is establishing residency in Washington, as their med school takes few OOS applicants. OTOH, many Florida med schools OOS friendly. There are also far more med schools in Florida, when one is considering that in-state tuition would be convenient to qualify for.

You bring up a very good point. I was unsure about the in-state/out-of-state variables. I am a WA state resident, I have been leaning more toward the UW or Seattle University for the pre-reqs lately. Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you happen to know if the UW school of medicine is veteran friendly? I will be leaving active duty to attend.

I went to UW and loved it for the most part, but didn't like the way the classes were graded. You may be familar, but they give a number grade for each class, not an A,B,C, etc. This makes it really easy to get ~3.3 with standard effort and really difficult to get a 4.0 with extreme effort. I found that my grades weren't good at UW compared to when I took classes at Berkeley, which I thought would be much harder to get As in. This is my incredibly biased opinion- but doesn't hurt to consider.

I'm also in the same boat, UW resident, living out of state, decided where to take the rest of my prereqs! I was thinking about possible Bellevue college since it will be soooo much cheaper than UW. Let me know what you decide!

Ok im a realist. I have a amcas 2.5 cgpa, and i dont know what my bcpm is (prob just a bit higher). However, I have like 140 credits and retook several classes. I have a masters with a 3.75 gpa.

i want to apply to a postbacc, but I dont know how MD schools look at this, and im not really sure that it will help me all that much in terms of boosting my overall gpa (even if I get a 4.0), let alone if i can even get in.

What are my chances of landing a postbacc if my undergrad gpa (non amcas) is 2.87? Will my grad gpa count and help me get a postbacc?

My alternative is a DO, as I have a 30R on my mcat.

What should I do?

Ok im a realist. I have a amcas 2.5 cgpa, and i dont know what my bcpm is (prob just a bit higher). However, I have like 140 credits and retook several classes. I have a masters with a 3.75 gpa.

i want to apply to a postbacc, but I dont know how MD schools look at this, and im not really sure that it will help me all that much in terms of boosting my overall gpa (even if I get a 4.0), let alone if i can even get in.

What are my chances of landing a postbacc if my undergrad gpa (non amcas) is 2.87? Will my grad gpa count and help me get a postbacc?

My alternative is a DO, as I have a 30R on my mcat.

What should I do?
It would be good to start your own thread, but with a 2.5, your chances at both MD is way below average. The 10th percentile is usually around 3.3 at most schools.

I would recommend applying to Osteopathic with what you have. There's a range of students accepted. Your GPA will be in the Osteopathic 10th percentile or just a bit lower, but you will make up with the 30R and the graduate degree.