Post-Baccalaureate Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaFontaine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I hope that I am posting this thread in the correct forum. I am in my early 30s and thinking of going back to school with the goal of becoming a licensed psychologist. My baccalaureate degree is not in psychology or even in a related field. I have a couple of undergrad psych courses. I have been considering enrolling in a master’s degree program in general psychology and then applying to some APA-accredited doctoral programs. There are several in my state. But before I even apply to the master’s program and start this course of action, I am wondering if this is a viable plan. I am concerned that starting out at an older age with no significant undergrad psychology background will have an adverse effect on an eventual application to an APA program. I am hoping that a master’s degree in psychology can help overcome the undergrad issue but I know that few things are certain in life. I am open to other suggestions as to how to proceed. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I hope that I am posting this thread in the correct forum. I am in my early 30s and thinking of going back to school with the goal of becoming a licensed psychologist. My baccalaureate degree is not in psychology or even in a related field. I have a couple of undergrad psych courses. I have been considering enrolling in a master’s degree program in general psychology and then applying to some APA-accredited doctoral programs. There are several in my state. But before I even apply to the master’s program and start this course of action, I am wondering if this is a viable plan. I am concerned that starting out at an older age with no significant undergrad psychology background will have an adverse effect on an eventual application to an APA program. I am hoping that a master’s degree in psychology can help overcome the undergrad issue but I know that few things are certain in life. I am open to other suggestions as to how to proceed. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I think that's definitely a viable plan! One of my cohort members in in their mid-30s with a non-psych (albeit related) bachelor's degree and a counseling master's degree, and admissions to my program are pretty competitive. Have you considered experimental or clinical (as opposed to general psych) master's programs that might lend more opportunities for research and clinical experience? Also, you might not want to limit yourself to doctoral programs in your state unless you absolutely cannot relocate. Geographically restricting yourself can lower your chances a great deal.

There is a master’s in experimental psychology program just a couple of hours away from where I currently reside. I’ll add it to my list for consideration, especially considering what I’ve read elsewhere about the importance of research experience for prospective applicants to APA programs. I don’t have any problem relocating to another state. I don’t have any significant familial obligations (single, no children) and so I do have a lot of flexibility as to where I can end up. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just heard about the Hot Metal Bridge post-bac program at U Pittsburgh. Don't know much about the quality or if it would apply to you, but sounded interesting.

I just took a quick look at the program and it looks like I might qualify. I will contact the admissions office for more information. Thanks for the tip!