Post-baccalaureate program necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midgemanders

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a non-traditional student (nursing student to be exact), I was wondering if a post-bacc program is really necessary. Is it easier/cheaper to just take the core med school requirements at any university? Do med schools look at that differently?

Thanks =]

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine courses a la carte are cheaper by quite a bit. I can't imagine why it would make a difference especially for a non-trad applicant. If you get asked (and would anyone even ask this?) why did you take courses at so and so instead of a formal program, you can just say it fit your schedule better given your other obligations as a non-trad. An A is an A is an A. Just get the As at any 4yr uni.

As a non-traditional student (nursing student to be exact), I was wondering if a post-bacc program is really necessary. Is it easier/cheaper to just take the core med school requirements at any university? Do med schools look at that differently?

Thanks =]
I have always felt that post baccs are money pits so I'm clearly bias. Without knowing your GPA and MCAT score I can't say if it would be worth it for you. I can tell you this however, the fact that you're a nurse works in your favor because it clearly shows passion & commitment to health care. If your GPA is 'OK' then do well on your MCAT and you won't need a post bacc.

Members don't see this ad :)
A formal post-bacc might buy you some targeted pre-med advising. But you are on SDN, which is the only advisor I ever needed. I just took the necessary classes on my own at a local school, applied, and I got in.

Some post-bac programs have linkage programs, with guaranteed entrance to medical school if you meet certain standards. Others are designed for career changers, or GPA boosters. But they are outrageously priced. I designed my own post-bac, at my local state school and used my VA benefits to offset the cost. This was much, much cheaper, and I wasn't locked into taking any specific set of classes, within a short period of time. It allowed much more flexibility than some of the 18 month postbacs offer.

I was accepted to medical school this year, and the location of my postbac classes never came up. I think the only things that some adcoms are averse to, are online prereqs or those taken at a community college.

Agree with what others have said. I did my post-bacc classes at my undergrad university just signing up for them on my own. Nobody ever asked me about it, the classes are the same...