Sulcus

5+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I have a question about post-bac programs designed for medical school.

I am about to graduate with a B.S. in Biology in May 2011 and I will have a GPA of around 3.0. I want to apply to dental or medical schools for 2012 so I will apply in the summer of 2011. I was wondering about post-bac programs to improve my GPA. I want to know what kind of program I should take, Undergraduate post-bac programs or Graduate post-bac programs? I want one that is one year, not two, are those available to students who have a B.S.?

Also, instead of a post-bac program, can I just take the pre-reqs again at a community college or is that not possible once you attain a degree?

Thank you

robflanker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
With a 3.0, i wouldn't bother applying. The odds stacked against you are so small.

Do an SMP, wait another year and then apply (apply in summer of 2012 after a year of SMP).

And dont bother with CC classes, they arent going to help prove to anyone you can handle the hard science classes you'll get in med/dent school

OP
S

Sulcus

5+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Thanks for the reply,

If an SMP program is a post-bac, than we might be on the same page.

But what I don't understand is which post-bac program would I apply to. There are undergraduate post-bac programs and graduate post-bac programs. There are one year certificates, and there are two years masters programs in biomedical sciences for example. Which would I have to apply for?

robflanker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would suggest registering for regular undergrad classes at your local 4-yr college for the spring semester - retake any prereqs you got Cs in, and mix in some upper level science classes (immuno, biochem, etc).

Start working on your SMP apps right now. An SMP is a 1 or 2 year masters granting program. A list can be found in the stickies at the top.

I wouldnt do many years of undergrad work as it wont help you too much, but a semester of good work in the spring won't hurt, then do an SMP, and apply the summer after (summer 2012)

OP
S

Sulcus

5+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Thanks,

Also, I did good in my upper level courses. I got an A- in Biochem, A in Biochem 2, B in Immuno, A in Endocrinology, B in Virology.

It's the pre-reqs that hurt me. I took those in my first two years in UG and I was working full time at the time and got a C in Gen Chem 1 & 2. C in Orgo 1, B in Orgo 2, A in Physics 1, C- in Physics 2, and C in Calc 1 & 2.

If I have to, I would retake both Gen Chem, Physics 2, and both Calc classes.

robflanker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Concentrate on gen chem and phys 2 - theyll help u more on the MCAT than calc will.

See if you can take 3 classes in the spring (gchem 1, calc 1, physics 2) and 1 in the summer (gchem 2)

OP
S

Sulcus

5+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I was looking at the stickies and seemed to notice that the SMPs require an MCAT score for acceptance. Is that the case or is that the required MCAT score to graduate the SMP program?

robflanker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Some require it, and some will take the GRE.

jslo85

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Most will require the MCAT but a feware willing to substitute for a GRE for acceptance into the graduate program but require an MCAT upon graduation if it involves linkages of any sort.