Post Bacc's Effects on State Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ol' Blue Eyes

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to how one's state residency is effected by attending Post Bacc.

For example, if a student attends a two-year post bacc program in a state--other than his/her current state--that has a five-year residency requirement, can he/she apply as an in-state resident upon completing the post bacc program, or must he/she plan to live there for three additional years--to make it five--before applying?

Clearly, the facts appear to show that unless a student is a really exceptional out-of-stater, he/she has little chance of being accepted to schools out of his/her state. I would like to get organized, so that I do not make the mistake of relocating solely on the basis of a post bacc programs's reputation only to discover that:

1) I have to live there quite a bit longer before being considered in state

2) my chances would have been better had I attended a less preferred post bacc and begun to gain in-state status in a more realistic state.

I ask this question because I am determined to attend a certain well known post bacc progam in order to enhance my GPA but do not fully understand if this effectively puts all my eggs in one basket--the schools of that post bacc program's state.

Any relative experiences or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It probably is going to depend on the individual state's requirements regarding education and residency. I did 2 yrs of post-bac in a state that did not allow you to get residency if you moved there to go to school. You had to work and pay taxes and not take any classes for one year before you were considered a resident. So I would check with the specific med school in the state you are interested in to find out their residency requirements.

Thank you Lone Coyote for the response. I will check in to individual state residency requirements.

While a med school probably accepts applicants from related post-bacc linkage programs without discriminating between in and out-of-state, I can see how deciding first on some feasible med schools in the same state before beginning a non-linkage post bacc may be a wise choice.