Post Bach/Masters... HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makesmespin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my senior year as a Biochem major. I have an extremely low GPA, 2.7 overall. I know my chances of ever getting into a dental school is slim. I am looking into post bach and masters programs to make myself more competitive. Any advice on the type of Masters program? I have heard Oral Health would increase my chances, but the likelihood of me getting into a graduate school with a GPA below 3.0 doesn't seem realistic. I just need some advice and guidance. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in my senior year as a Biochem major. I have an extremely low GPA, 2.7 overall. I know my chances of ever getting into a dental school is slim. I am looking into post bach and masters programs to make myself more competitive. Any advice on the type of Masters program? I have heard Oral Health would increase my chances, but the likelihood of me getting into a graduate school with a GPA below 3.0 doesn't seem realistic. I just need some advice and guidance. Thank you.
Have you already taken the DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you had originally planned to take a gap year then? Do you graduate next month?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No gap. I will be graduating Spring 2017. I would be applying for post bach and masters next year for Fall 2017. I will be taking DAT this year. I am just trying to see what my options are and what I need to do before its too late.

Reactions: 1 user
No gap. I will be graduating Spring 2017. I would be applying for post bach and masters next year for Fall 2017. I will be taking DAT this year. I am just trying to see what my options are and what I need to do before its too late.
Okay good. At least you're thinking ahead. I was afraid you were just now looking for a post-bacc or masters for next fall. Some masters programs will accept you with a sub-3.0 GPA, however I'd highly advise trying to raise that before you enter a SMP. You need to get that undergrad GPA above a 3.0 or as close to it as you can, and then enter a SMP and perform well (3.5+ GPA) to have a realistic shot at being accepted into dental school. You need a masters program in my own opinion.

I'm not sure where you're from, but masters programs I can recommend include Barry, Tulane, USF, Temple (guaranteed interview if you maintain a 3.5+ GPA in the SMP and have a 20+ DAT score), Iowa State, Midwestern AZ or IL (offer guaranteed interview if you perform well), or any of the SMPs in the northeastern United States (however these are very competitive because the applicant pool is heavy in med students looking for highly prestigious SMPs).

Okay good. At least you're thinking ahead. I was afraid you were just now looking for a post-bacc or masters for next fall. Some masters programs will accept you with a sub-3.0 GPA, however I'd highly advise trying to raise that before you enter a SMP. You need to get that undergrad GPA above a 3.0 or as close to it as you can, and then enter a SMP and perform well (3.5+ GPA) to have a realistic shot at being accepted into dental school. You need a masters program in my own opinion.

I'm not sure where you're from, but masters programs I can recommend include Barry, Tulane, USF, Temple (guaranteed interview if you maintain a 3.5+ GPA in the SMP and have a 20+ DAT score), Iowa State, Midwestern AZ or IL (offer guaranteed interview if you perform well), or any of the SMPs in the northeastern United States (however these are very competitive because the applicant pool is heavy in med students looking for highly prestigious SMPs).

plus Rutgers MBS

Thank you so much for all of your advice. I will definitely look into an SMP. I am from SoCal, but at this point I want to strengthen my chances, and hopefully get into any dental school. I am willing to relocate. Thank you. I just hope I can raise my undergrad GPA and score really well on the DAT.

Thank you so much for all of your advice. I will definitely look into an SMP. I am from SoCal, but at this point I want to strengthen my chances, and hopefully get into any dental school. I am willing to relocate. Thank you. I just hope I can raise my undergrad GPA and score really well on the DAT.
No problem! Keep in mind that doing well this academic year and performing well on the DAT is only part of the equation. I would recommend a SMP/masters even upon you accomplishing these first two tasks. Personally I liked what I saw from Iowa State, Barry, and Tulane more than Midwestern or USF. I know Midwestern is probably the closest SMP of the ones I listed, but I've read threads on here were students with 3.3 and 3.4 GPAs ended up getting sub-3.0 GPAs after entering into that masters program. Even though they guarantee an interview if you perform well, I was highly skeptic about as to whether or not I'd perform well in that one. I chose the one I did for a reason and through two years of research and talking with former students. If I hadn't chosen Iowa State, Tulane and Barry were probably next on the list. I also didn't want to pay an obscene tuition price either though (Temple and other northeastern programs).

Reactions: 1 user
Hi. I was wondering what type of masters you chose at Iowa State?

No problem! Keep in mind that doing well this academic year and performing well on the DAT is only part of the equation. I would recommend a SMP/masters even upon you accomplishing these first two tasks. Personally I liked what I saw from Iowa State, Barry, and Tulane more than Midwestern or USF. I know Midwestern is probably the closest SMP of the ones I listed, but I've read threads on here were students with 3.3 and 3.4 GPAs ended up getting sub-3.0 GPAs after entering into that masters program. Even though they guarantee an interview if you perform well, I was highly skeptic about as to whether or not I'd perform well in that one. I chose the one I did for a reason and through two years of research and talking with former students. If I hadn't chosen Iowa State, Tulane and Barry were probably next on the list. I also didn't want to pay an obscene tuition price either though (Temple and other northeastern programs).

I had a similar GPA and i had just a averge DAT score, but i was able to get accepted to Rutgers SMP. I'm sure if i was able to get in you are more than able to as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
OH HI. I was a biochem major too and had a disasterrific sgpa too (around yours)-also from socal #thestruggleisreal. I ended up taking a/an (in)formal post-bacc in norcal and ended up with a 3.7 in my postbacc(I never learn my lesson). Just to give you an idea of where people in your stat position can end up, I personally had 6 interviews and 5 waitlists. I know others in the same post bacc with similar undergrad stats, lower DAT scores, and higher post-bacc gpa that got into dental school this year (UCSF, Western, UoP, etc.). The key is to ace whatever you do-post bacc or SMP (tbh I don't think the type of program matters too much-only your gpa does) and write an above average personal statement (mine was garbage).

OH HI. I was a biochem major too and had a disasterrific sgpa too (around yours)-also from socal #thestruggleisreal. I ended up taking a/an (in)formal post-bacc in norcal and ended up with a 3.7 in my postbacc(I never learn my lesson). Just to give you an idea of where people in your stat position can end up, I personally had 6 interviews and 5 waitlists. I know others in the same post bacc with similar undergrad stats, lower DAT scores, and higher post-bacc gpa that got into dental school this year (UCSF, Western, UoP, etc.). The key is to ace whatever you do-post bacc or SMP (tbh I don't think the type of program matters too much-only your gpa does) and write an above average personal statement (mine was garbage).
Bingo. GPA and DAT scores supersede everything else in the end. Go where you believe will put you in the best position to get a high GPA for post-bacc/masters. Some people on here and the interdisciplinary forums pump out those prestigious SMPs that cost $50,000 or more for a single year, but that's so unnecessary for pre-dentals at least. These dental schools just want to see you take courses you'll be taking in the first year of dental school and do well in them. They want to see you can handle a rigorous science based curriculum of upper-level courses. They're essentially betting on you being able to pass once you get into dental school with a heavier load of classes, and if you can't they just wasted a seat on you. That's the mindset of the admissions committees.

I really appreciate all the advice. I would like to do a post bac but I feel it won't raise my gpa by that much. I am leaning more towards a SMP. I am willing to move and quit work and just focus on school for once. I know I need to finish my undergrad strong with only a few classes to go. I am taking the summer off go extern at a dental office and study for the dat. Now I need to find out if I need to take the GRE as well.

I have a question...

If I get into a SMP program for fall 2017, when would be the best time to apply for dental school?

I have a question...

If I get into a SMP program for fall 2017, when would be the best time to apply for dental school?

If you were working with something around a 3.2+ GPA, I'd probably say go ahead and apply during your SMP just to see what happens. However, since that's not the case here and you'll be hovering around a 3.0, I'd say apply the summer after you've completed your SMP. It'd be a waste otherwise because you're essentially throwing away money just to be rejected if you were to apply next summer.

Okay! Thank you so much. Just a little nervous to take a whole year off after the smp.

Okay! Thank you so much. Just a little nervous to take a whole year off after the smp.

Just work for the year and try to pay off what you can from the SMP loans (assuming you take out loans). Then defer your loans once you matriculate into dental school. :thumbup:

That's the route I may have to take.

I have a question...

If you do well on your DAT and don't need to retake it, you should apply the cycle you enter your SMP, make sure to include that you are doing the SMP in your application and update grades as they come out. In my opinion, it is well worth a shot to apply, you may get in if you choose schools wisely. Admissions committees will look highly on seeing you entered an SMP so this could really help your chances.

Yeah no worries. I have a similar GPA and still got accepted into a SMP.