post bach vs masters??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ppongready

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I know this question has been posted before in the past but I'm still confused about certain things.
I'm going to graduate in the spring 2017 with around a 3.2ish. I'm applying for dental school with 18AA,
haven't received any interviews yet but I want to still stay prepared and have a back up plan.
The thing that I'm trying to figure out is that I know most people do Post-Bach when they have below a 3.0, I have a 3.2 BUT my science gpa is around a 2.6 :/
So the only thing I'm concerned about is raising my science gpa which is why I'm feeling more of a post-bach. So my questions are....

1. Is post-bach harder than a masters or are they about the same in difficulty?
2. If i do a one year post-bach would it be advantageous to even do a one year masters program after that?
3. If I do a post bach for a year, that means that I am applying again to dental school AFTER I finish that bost bach correct? Then I would have a gap year to wait while waiting to hear back from dental schools.
4. I live in Indiana, does anyone know really good post bach programs in Indiana or midwest??

Thank you so much!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Stay in school: delay your bachelors or grab a second bachelors in biology if you aren't already getting one, and do a 1-year masters after that along with a DAT retake - nothing below a 3.7 here on out and a 3.8 in your Ms along with a 19 on the DAT - do this and I promise you success...GL

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Did you apply to Temple? If so, have you heard of the post-bac that Temple offers?
1) In my opinion this post-bac is easier than other masters, because it is solely dental related. There is so many interesting things that you will learn that you will eventually learn in D1 so it is helpful as well!
2) This program offers reserved seat to the dental school at Temple if you meet 3 requirements which is on their website. So you will highly likely get an acceptance if you meet these 3 requirements
3) You will be applying for dental schools during the post-bacc and you will attend dental school after completing the program, so there will be no gap year. (Finishes April and then you start dental school August of the same year).
4) Temple is in Philly, but there are a lot of people from all over the states!

If you have more questions, let me know :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Stay in school: delay your bachelors or grab a second bachelors in biology if you aren't already getting one, and do a 1-year masters after that along with a DAT retake - nothing below a 3.7 here on out and a 3.8 in your Ms along with a 19 on the DAT - do this and I promise you success...GL

I second this

Great advice, but I wouldn't consider a second bachelors useful or even advantageous. It will raise your GPA very little the more credits you take. Aadsas calculates post-bach separately (especially when you take it at another school) so do that AND/OR the Masters. Always aim for 4.0 but anywhere from 3.5 and up is good. You want more A's than B's.

Did you apply to Temple? If so, have you heard of the post-bac that Temple offers?
1) In my opinion this post-bac is easier than other masters, because it is solely dental related. There is so many interesting things that you will learn that you will eventually learn in D1 so it is helpful as well!
2) This program offers reserved seat to the dental school at Temple if you meet 3 requirements which is on their website. So you will highly likely get an acceptance if you meet these 3 requirements
3) You will be applying for dental schools during the post-bacc and you will attend dental school after completing the program, so there will be no gap year. (Finishes April and then you start dental school August of the same year).
4) Temple is in Philly, but there are a lot of people from all over the states!

If you have more questions, let me know :)

This advice is probably the best; If you don't mind Philly and the added expense.