Post-Bach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentase

Powered by tooth knockn
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore, soon to be junior applying next year so this topic is not for me, but rather a friend. So my friend graduated college with a not so good GPA and quit his dreams about maybe 2 years ago. He wants to do something now and I wanted to mention doing a post-bach. How does a post bach work, if he has a good GPA can he have a good chance? Also I saw different types of post-bachs on SDN ex masters??, and would someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Post bach....like after he listens to some Bach he is going to work on his gpa?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend enrolling at a local 4 year university to take classes. Depending on the school, your friend may have to declare as a degree seeking student in order to get financial aid (you wouldnt have to finish the degree if you got into dental school). This is called an informal post bac. It's a lot cheaper than a masters and since formal post bac programs are hard to get in (they usually have extra benefits like if you maintain a 3.8GPA you are guaranteed one interview or something like that). If your friend enrolls in an informal post bac, tell him to take upper lvl bio classes especially ones geared towards dental school (immuno, embryology, etc). Make sure he does WELL. Like 3.7+GPA with a full course load every semester. Depending on how low his GPA, this post bac should take about 2 years. Once he wraps that up, he needs to take the DAT and kick the living crap out of it. 21+ AA. In addition to this, he wants to improve all aspects of his application. The general rule I hear is to basically double your shadowing and community service hours. Triple it if it was really low to begin with. Write a strong personal statement describing what he did that he improved on. Finally, tell him to apply early when the time comes like when the application opens.

Reactions: 1 user